Dimarzio Strat Pups, opinions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by dan7_69, Sep 15, 2008.

1. dan7_69

dan7_69 Member

I'm considering putting the following Dimarzio pups in a new Strat. Going for that Billy Corgan style in a new parts Strat.

Neck-> Cruiser
    Middle-> Chopper
    Bridge-> Tone Zone S or Fast Track 2

First off, has anyone had any good/bad experiences with any of these pups or combination of any?

Secondly, how would be the best way to wire this? What pots would you use?
    I'd like to get close to the beautiful Strat neck pup tone of vintage strats, but.. in the rail design to match the other pups.
    Splitting the bridge pup would also be a consideration, but I'm more interested in getting the best HB-style tone from that position.

Any other input is also greatly appreciated!

~Dan

2. dan7_69

dan7_69 Member

Anyone got any input?

3. dan7_69

dan7_69 Member

4. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

My Pop runs a DiMarzio Super Distortion DP101 deal in his bridge and two DiMarzio DP402 Virtual Vintage Blues in his neck and mid positions. I don't really even care for Strats and I have to say that this guitar is absolutely smoking. It's like all of the Strat flavor and tone that makes a Strat a Strat, but with a ton of extra oomph and grunt. Sounds great with the hard rock and classic rock stuff he plays.

Edit - Oh, 500k pots for sure with those pickups btw, at least with the volume if nothing else. If I were you I'd get a whole kit from RS Guitar Works while you're at it and then have a super smoking guitar. The above Strat that I just mentioned has no tones wired and just runs through a 3 way Fender switch, 500k RS Super Pot, and then to the jack.

5. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

+1 on the 500K pots. You might also consider Cruiser neck, Cruiser bridge, Pro Track. I had that combo in a strat type guitar and it was very nice.

6. dan7_69

dan7_69 Member

Great! I'll definitely go with 500k pot for the volume. What about the tone pots?

I'd considered the cruiser in the middle instead of the chopper, and may go that direction. How would you think the Pro Track would compare to something like the Air Norton S or Tone Zone S? I never use the bridge position with any normal single coil strats, so I wanted something that would get me more into humbucker territory.

7. Dave L

Dave L Member

I think the best-sounding DiMarzio for middle and neck is the VV Blues... it´s my favorite hot/fat singlecoil pickup at the moment, and my upcoming custom order will definitely have them. It works great for classic and heavy rock, and has enough oomph to not sound tiny next to a hot bridge humbucker while still sounding like an actual singlecoil.

8. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

I opted for the Cruiser bridge model in the middle because it was brighter than the chopper. It kept the N/M and B/M positions brighter and quackier. The Pro Track is closest to a PAF type sound. I have not heard the Air Norton S or the Tone Zone S. They both would be hotter than the Pro Track. I used 500K pots for both volume and tone.

9. dan7_69

dan7_69 Member

So good things to be said for the Cruiser in both Neck and Middle. I may go see if I can find a neck and bridge model and do as you suggested. 500k pots seems like the way to go also.

Is there a RS kits that come with 500k pots for all 3 positions or do you have to buy those separate?
    Also, are any of you guys who are using Pro Track or any similar bridge pup using any form of coil tapping on it?

10. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

I forgot too mention that I did not split or coil tap the Pro Track. If you do that it will hum in the split position. All other positions will be quiet. You could wire the PT for series/parallel. It's similar to coil spliting (brighter) but remains hum canceling.

11. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

For the 500k pots call RS and ask for Billy. Tell him I sent ya over and he should take care of you. Yes, you can call me Frankie Sixxxgun on the phone. :D

12. dan7_69

dan7_69 Member

Will do! Thanks for the help.

Anyone else have any likes/dislikes with these pups?