DiMarzio Super Distortion

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gallery, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

Anyone using these who can share their opinion?

I'm planning to put it in a shredder type guitar which will mostly get played through a Marshall 2204 with lots of palm mutting for hard rock, metal and thrash.

2. darkinners

darkinners Member

I don't like them, I found them sounding too tight and too smooth. I personally like more raw and edgy sound.
    But I reckon they might sound great in a 2204 tho.

3. dazco

dazco Member

I'm not metal by any stretch. But i've been using them for the last 35 years and used them in the 70's too. IMHO they are not only the first aftermarket pickup ever made, at least that i know of, but they are my fav all time humbucker. Granted, they don't do a great clean humbucker sound, but they do if you split them. I love the split sound. Just be sure it's the neck side coil thats active ad you get a pretty single coil like tone that does cleans fantastic. In HB mode they work great for hi gain and the ability to get a cleaner but still crunchy lower gain sound as you roll back the volume. Overall i can get everything i need from the bridge position with a SD in it. They are the only pickup i have ever owned that I felt is the best of it's type period. I just love em. But i don't play any of the stuff you do, so take it for what it's worth. I do think it would work very well for that tho.

4. Timmo

Timmo Member

I have them in a few original DEANS.....they kick butt!!!
    Aggressive yet note separation.....

5. shane88

shane88 Member

they've been around since 1972 & as far as i'm concerned the go to pickup for what you want

6. Harvesterofsorrow

Harvesterofsorrow Member

One of the best pickups for metal of all kinds Imo. I use them and highly recommend them.

7. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Nothing wrong with that choice with that amp-it's well tested to work perfectly.

8. CPS

CPS Member

I have one in a nice LP copy I bought in '78 or '80. It still sounds great. We played a gig at the Viper Room in L.A. Last summer, plugged into their house JCM 800 and the sound guys stopped and commented that it sounded great. There's a Dimarzio PAF Pro in the neck position, and the two of them together make a very sweet clean sound. Our band is hard rock and not metal, but the SD does have a ballsy distorted tone and sounds good with muting.

9. OiRogers

OiRogers Member

I have the same combo in my Gibson Faded V. At first I was not a fan, then I adjusted my tone stack and found them to react very nicely to the tone controls on both my amp and the guitar.. And they are super sensitive to volume control adjustments on the instrument. From a nice clean with a touch of crunch to a wail... So far, my favorite aftermarket combo of p'ups.

I have found highly usable tones from khaki pants blues to 70's and early 80's style metal. (I'm not a nu-metal guy).

10. karaterick

karaterick Member

I have them in a Dean Z and like them a lot for that guitar. Not the pickup I would want for everything but they are pretty versatile as well.

11. $tratcat

$tratcat Member

I'm pretty sure that Al DiMeola used a SD in his Les Paul for his early solo albums, maybe even Romantic Warrior and No Mystery. Plus, he used a Marshall, so that may give you some indication of the tone.

12. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

I modded a MIM Strat with one some years back, when I made my own Dave Murray tribute guitar. This was before Fender released their own Murray Sig model.

If you want to nail Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and other NWOBHM sounds, this is your pickup.

13. guitarspaz

guitarspaz Member

They did a lot of things right in the 70's

scolfax likes this.
  14. OHSOFUZZY

OHSOFUZZY Member

I have an older set of Super Distortions that I've put in a few guitars.
    I really like the sound.
    They're a bit microphonic with gain, so I don't use them anymore.

Some say they don't like the clean tones, and while they may not be as twangy as a PAF (by comparison), I still think they're nice clean.

They are not for everyone.

With gain, they really do shine for rock type music.
    Big, ballsy, tight.
    I'd put them in all of my guitars if I could afford it.

15. oldlefty

oldlefty Member

The Super Distortion 2 was pretty much the only humbucker the big guy ever used on his custom guitars. Mostly the middle with split coil. And he could go from sweet and soulful to pure noise and feedback. And everything in between.

[​IMG]

16. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

The Super 2 is a very different-sounding pickup. VERY bright, not as much midrange.

The original Super is pretty much the sound of '70s rock. If you want that sound, there are other ways to get it but none easier.

It's not something I'd put in all my guitars but I'll always have a Les Paul (or similar) with one.

17. John 14:6

John 14:6 Member

Try a Suhr/Doug Aldrich PU instead.

18. Stormin

Stormin Supporting Member

FWIW - I actually replaced the Aldrich in my HSS Strat with a Super Distortion. In my guitar, the SD works better for me than the Aldrich did.

19. Sun Creature

Sun Creature Supporting Member

I have the dual sounds, which is the coil tappable version of the Super Distortion, in my BC Rich Mockingbird Exotic Classic. These things are thick and tight. It screamed through my 2204 and most definitely will through yours. I can cover a lot of ground with them when I coil-tap them.
    [​IMG]

20. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

Str8up!

Ali panel Marshalls and early MV Marshalls eat it up. Great hard rock 70s guitar pickup, but also does the Fusion thang well. More versatile than most claim but it is a charactered pickup not suited well to all things. I prefer to roll with more trad PAF type pups through T tops and then add a boost if necessary to make an amp give up the goods.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015