Dimarzio Tone Zone Bridge, Air Norton Neck in Les Paul? (love it in my Ibanez)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BMX, Apr 13, 2016.

1. BMX

BMX Member

I just got an Ibanez that has a Tone Zone in the bridge and Air Norton in the neck and I love how it sounds. Has anyone tried these in a Les Paul or are there similar pickups I should try?

I don't like the burstbucker pros currently in the guitar. I have some 36th anniversaries I'm going to try today in the Les Paul but now I'm wondering if I should try something hotter. Previously I had a set of Suhr Aldriches in a Les Paul and didn't like those.

Anybody else gone down a similar path?

2. srmd22

srmd22 Supporting Member

I am thinking about this combo for a couple of HB guitars I have also - a PRS Cu24 and a Les Paul style guitar - like the OP - so I'm interested in people's opinions as well.

BMX likes this.
  3. rummy

rummy Member

I love the TZ/AN combo in a basswood body, but my experience with the TZ in the bridge of a short scale mahogany body wasn't so good. It sounded stiff and congested, clean or distorted.

BMX likes this.
  4. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

A guitar buddy of mine tried a Tone Zone in his LP, he couldn't get it out fast enough.

BMX likes this.
  5. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

I tried an Air Zone in my LP and SG-Z. The low end was a little too much in my LP but not as bad in the SG, though I eventually ended up not using it in either. I'd suggest looking at the Seymour Duncan 59/Custom Hybrid. One coil is wound with 42 gauge wire, the other with 43 gauge so it gives it a stronger, raunchier sound but still has a PAF-like flavor.

BMX likes this.
  6. Chris McKinley

Chris McKinley Member

I tried that exact combo in my LP and the Tone Zone was too woofy and lacked a little clarity in the highs. I much prefer my custom Dimarzios which are similar to the 36ths. If I think the signal lacks pure output, I'd almost always rather keep a lower output pickup in the guitar for the tone and sustain and simply boost/EQ the signal if I need that same tone only hotter.

BMX likes this.