DiMarzio Virtual T Tele pickups clip

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by rotren, Jul 19, 2006.

1. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    Love my new Dimarzio Virtual T Tele pickups. Made a quick demo here - http://www.dolphinstreet.com/video_clips/video-18.php

What do you think? I think they are very nice. No mud, and no ice pick in the ear - just nice and balanced. And NO hum! I just love that.

2. bagpipe

bagpipe Member

your clips sound really good, although the file is a bit large. Anyway, the Dimarzio pickups sound nice and your chops are excellent as well. I have just received my new Bill Lawrence pickups for my Strat and I'm looking forward to installing them and wailing for a while (with no hum !). Oh, and I liked how you added the text to the movie to describe the pickups changes - very professional.

3. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

Nice sounding and well done clips you got there. :)

And that Squier does Fender proud.

Greg

4. johnmfer

johnmfer Member

Sounds really good!

5. rotren

rotren Member

Thanks for the feedback guys! I am very excited to play a gig now with no hum problems. Last time I gigged, our band leader said people in the audience had expressed concernts that we had a problem with our equipment. It was just my single coils humming... no more of that now!

Did the file take too long to start playing? I made them 512 kb quality, any lower and the sound starts to get distorted.

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

Those sound great, better than the Kinman I had.

I wish they offered the neck pup with the chrome cover, I like the trad look on my Tele.

7. rotren

rotren Member

Yeah, I know, teh chrome cover looks better for that trad. look. On their website, DiMarzio says they did that because they felt the quality in sound was superior without the chrome cover and they didn't want to compromise with the quality of the sound.

Better than the Kinman, really? Kinmans cost quite a bit more than the Virtual T, I think. It's always hard to compare though, I find.

8. hipfan

hipfan Member

rotren - Is that the standard Virtual T bridge, or the Hot model? Also, what value pots/cap are you using with them?

Great tones and playing, by the way!

9. Unburst

Unburst Member

I emailed DiMarzio to ask if a chrome cover could be fitted and they told me it was too big and a cover won't fit.

Hard to say just from your clip but your bridge pup sounds better than the Kinman to me.

10. rotren

rotren Member

I am glad to hear these pups can compete with Kinman's - then I'm on the right track! I am still very happy with these pickups, especially the fact that all 3 positions sound really good and balanced. No problem with too much bass/treble while switching back and forth all the time.

Thanks for the comment, hipfan! I don't know what pots/cap are in there, I didn't pay attention when I installed them. It's whatever comes with the Squier Standard Telecaster, made in Indonesia.

The bridge pup I have is the standard T, not the Hot T pickup.
    Ciao.

11. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Nice clip! Does justice to these great sounding ( and feeling ) pickups. Dimarzio did it right with this series. The neck is fat and bluesy and the bridge can twang and spank with the best of them. I prefer the Hot T...it's a real corker! Not hot as in fire hot, but enough added beef to cruise the P-90 alley if desired. The middle setting was nice to show what these two sound like together...very versitile set of pups. Nice price to boot. Dimarzios Twang King neck pup, ( while not noisless ) is a great sounding pickup that also matches well with the Hot T or regular VV bridge pup and has the chrome cover.

12. hipfan

hipfan Member

Thanks for the info, rotren. I bet they are the +/- 250K pots that come standard in most Tele types.

I have at Hot T bridge that I've swapped in and out of my Robin Wrangler (Nashville Tele-style guitar with middle and neck Strat pups) a few times. I think it's in there for good now. Your clip inspired me to re-install it, along with some Lace Holy Grails in the neck and middle positions. It sounds fantastic - sort of like a low output P90 but with the percussive "thwak" of a Tele on the low strings - very nice. Both pots are around 280K, and the tone cap it .033 in mine, fwiw.

All this Dimarzio love is leading me to believe that I might have to look into the Area 58 Strat pups for the middle and neck also. The Holy Grails don't exactly knock me out with great tone in this Robin guitar. :AOK

13. rotren

rotren Member

I've heard the Hot T is great too. I find the "standard one" to be just about right "hotness" for me, although I would like to try the Hot T too.

Area 58? Never heard of them.

I am getting Virtual Vintage 2.2 in my next Strat. They sound great too.

14. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I'm really thinking of putting virtual 2 in my strat.