Dimarzio Virtual Vintage 2.1+2.2 Users?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slider313, Mar 18, 2006.

1. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I'm thinking of replacing my strats pickups with the Dimarzio VV 401/2.1 in the neck and middle and the 410/2.2 in the bridge. Has anyone here used either of the two types in their strats,and what do you think of the overall tone?

2. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I've had both VirtuAL 2 and 2.1/2.2 sets in my G&L Legacy Strat-type.

Both are very quiet and nice. The VirtuAL 2 set is a bit more aggressive, darker - more Blackmore than typical Strat type - very cool.

The 2.1 neck/middle w/ 2.2 in bridge is more typical standard Strat output/tone. Again, very quiet. While not the same level of 'quack' in the stock 2 & 4 positions, there is a simple mod (posted here a while back) that DiMarzio claims will bring it back. I'm not a big fan of 'quack', so prefer it just wired in as usual (nice 'hollow' tone in 2 & 4).

They are not exactly tuned like standard single coils, but - admittedly - as I'm more interested in tones closer to say Blackmore, Brian May, Adrian Belew, etc. these work killer (actually prefer them to pure single coils). Strat vibe for sure, but perhaps a bit darker, little to no noise, and killer customer service.

IMHO, YMMV, etc...

3. Plexihead

Plexihead Member

Hmmm, interesting. I might have to try those out 'cause Blackmore-ish type "Strat" tones are what I'm after.

4. donbarzini

donbarzini Member

I'm interested in these myself. I just purchased a 57 Strat reissue and I defintely want noiseless pickups, I'm so used to the PAF humbuckers I usually play.

5. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

To do the mod, you have to get a RWRP middle pickup from DiMarzio, and only use the single coils when in positions 2 & 4. I was planning to get a '54 Neck, 2.2 middle, and a Blues for the bridge, for my new Strat. I was told that the adjusted wiring gives "a bit more presence" in 2 & 4, which lead me to believe it wasn't dramatically different.

I like the 2 & 4 tones - are they that much different from the standard tones?

6. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

It's a nice, more open sound w/ the VV's in 2 & 4 pickup position. Not as honky, squawky as true single coils, more subtle out-of phase type vibe. Less nasally, but still funky... So, some of the vibe, but not as much (which works better for what I'm after).

7. Plexihead

Plexihead Member

I'm curious about this 'cause I'm seriously thinking of trying them. When you mention Blackmore, would you be referring to the classic "In Rock to Who Do We Think We Are" era, or his later stuff from the eighties/ninieties. There are definite differences and although I love both the earlier period is my favorite.

8. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Earlier pre-pop Blackmore (Gillan through Dio)...

9. Plexihead

Plexihead Member

Hey good to hear, and thanks for the quick response!

10. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Very accurate assessment. I have a set in a coral pink '62 Reissue Strat that my teenage daughter seems to have borrowed indefinately (face it dad, it has chili pepper stickers on it - its gone) from me. They are scary quiet, albeith darker sounding. I'm very much a vintage Strat person; I LIKE the cluck sound. These weren't as clucky, but are very good pickups. Never had a chance to try the mod suggested here... (kids)...

peace,

jb

11. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Thanks to all who have given their opinion's. I ordered the pickups yesterday and will give them a shot.

12. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I have the V2's and a Suhr DSV+ in a HSS guitar. I love the DiMarzio's. I use them with a 300k volume/500k tone. They can get too brilliant with a 500k volume. Best IMHO with 250k thu 300k depending on the guitar's natural brightness.