DiMarzio Virtual Vintage Heavy Blues II

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by odd, Feb 10, 2012.

1. odd

odd Member

What do you think of it? I have one in the neck of a strat, and kinda like it but it's just a tad too warm. Alternatives? Need to stay with a noiseless design.

2. odd

odd Member

3. mixn4him

mixn4him Supporting Member

I have a full set of them in a Classic Players 60's strat and really love them. But then again it was kinda bright to begin with and I play thru a Marshall 1987xl so these pickups seem balance out everything pretty well for me..

4. zul

zul Supporting Member

I bet it sounds phat clean but gets a little woofy with gain judging from the eq curve on the site.

Slightly less hot and and middy is the cruiser. I use a bridge model at the neck and it takes gain well. Formerly had a '54 pro there, but the slight dip in the mids really helps the cruiser to remain clear and distinct with gain but still have enough meat when I use it clean and semi-clean. 500k for me.

The VVHBII should sound great at the bridge, no?

5. odd

odd Member

Thanks for the input.

Yeah, I was thinking of putting it in the bridge. I have a VV Solo in there now, that I'm not particularly sold on. Then again, I also have a real Bill Lawrence L-45 (I think) that I haven't tried. Decisions, decisions... This is my main guitar as well, a Hamer Daytona.

6. Amplite

Amplite Member

I think an Injector neck model might do the trick!

7. odd

odd Member

Interesting choice.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  8. Wildwind

Wildwind Silver Supporting Member

Very good choice IMO, thinking about doing the same thing. Running all Areas now in my Strats and Teles.

9. odd

odd Member

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
  10. AllmanFan

AllmanFan Silver Supporting Member

Im digging the VV solo. Sounds like a 57 from an SG. Very 90s Crazy horse in the second dirt clip. I dont personally care fore the scratchiness of the neck pickup. Kinda sounds like the neck is setup to close to the strings.

11. odd

odd Member

Thanks a lot for your feedback. It may indeed be a case of having the neck pickup too close to the strings.

12. odd

odd Member

Anyone have some recorded clips of the HB2?

13. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

I use one in the bridge position of a G&L Legacy - really great pickup for Blackmore/EJ type tones. Nevertheless tried it in the neck. If too warm, look at one of the Area models.

14. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I've got a VV blues in the neck. It balances very nicely with the Virtual Solo I have in the bridge.

15. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

it is one of the hotter virtuals. it's my go-to recommendation for strats with bridge humbuckers, as it will hang volume-wise while still sounding like a strat neck (albeit a fat, warm strat neck).

try an area 61. clearer and not quite as hot as the heavy blues II, but still fairly strong. and it still has the alnico II magnets, great for neck pickups to prevent string pull warble.

if you're not so sure about the solo in the bridge, try the HB-II there for more of a bright, stinging strat sound by comparison.

16. odd

odd Member

Thanks for the input everyone.