Dimarzio Virtual Vintage/Virtual T's

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rawkguitarist, Sep 25, 2005.

1. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

I'm looking to hear from guy's that have experience with these Virtual Vintage, especially the Virtual T's. My American Standard Tele sounds great, but I think it could sound better. And I can't stand the noise! My friend has some Kinmans, which sound freakin amazing! But I've read some opinions that the VV's are a good set of pickups, with some of the tone of the Kinmans. (supposedly Dimarzio thinks Kinman "stole" some of his ideas, but I doubt it... coincidence maybe...)

What’s you’re honest opinion of these pickups?

2. DoobieK

DoobieK Member

I owned a set of Virtual T's and they are okay. I put them in a friend's Tele and he loves them. They are pretty decent for the price. I actually like them better than the Lawrences I tried.

I put Kinman's in my Teles and they won't be coming out. They are the best noiseless, to me, if cost is not an option.

3. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Man... is it just that I'm not asking about Kinmans or WCR's that no one wants to chime in. I have some pretty high end gear but I've noticed one thing lately that’s kinda irritating...

The only amps that seem to get any talk on this page are $6k Two Rock, or other Dumble type amps.

If you're not talking about Timmy/Tim, BJF, or Lovepedal (which I love), Echoczar, TTE, the thread won't get any hits.

etc, etc, etc...

In this case I'm asking about production pickups and the only response I get is, "they're ok for the money".

Bummer...:rolleyes:

PS. Doobiek, I do appreciate your input though.

4. planetal

planetal Member

Hi,

I have a Virtual T bridge pickup in a late 90s tele and I like it for what I play. I may try another pickup or two down the road, but for right now I'm quite happy with the sound. In a gigging situation and at volume they work quite well, especially through a very cranked amp. They aren't harsh on the top end and have an overwound sound I like.

As a reference.. I thought the original stock pickup was harsh and lifeless. Based on a recommendation, I replaced that with a duncan little '59. Bad recommendation. The little '59 was very much not the right pickup for my tastes.

IMHO, the Virtual T lets the tele sound like a tele, but without the harsh ice pick. It is pretty quiet as well.

Al

5. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

planetal, thanks for your response!

So you can get some twang and they still sound like single coils, but in a slightly bigger way and without the noise?

See, I have a couple of PRS guitars which sound huge and fat. I wanted a Tele so I could get that slightly raunchy, twangy, slightly thinner sound. Also with a little less thick midrange. If I want a fat lead tone, I simply grab one of my PRS’s.

But I still want a good Tele tone with a bit of twang, just want to loose the noise.

Thanks
    :AOK

6. D.G.

D.G. Member

I prefer the Fender noiseless to the Dimarzio VV's in teles. I don't have a tele anymore (ASAT instead) but I imagine the new SCN's are pretty nice.

As for strats:

I've had Dimarzio VV's in various strat-style guitars and I thought they were fine, especially at volume. It's true that I prefer either the Fender SCN's or the Kinman MKII's, but the VV's are nothin' to sneeze at. I had a VV in the bridge of one of my guitars and thought it was the best bridge sound I've ever had. Not like exactly like a regular strat single coil, but really nice. No ice-pick, and a sort of "hollow" tone I thought worked really well. I might grab it when I change strings next time and slap into my strat with the Kinman's and give it another whirl! For what it's worth, I prefer the slightly thicker tone of the SCN in the bridge to the Kinman, but prefer the Kinmans in the neck and middle positions.

7. planetal

planetal Member

**So you can get some twang and they still sound like single **coils, but in a slightly bigger way and without the noise?

To my ears Yes... They are as quiet as a humbucker, but sound very much like an overwound single coil. It really does capture the strong rhythm suits of a tele, from twang to nasty. Leads with a little boost into a cranked Plexi type amp sound really quite good as well. Very clear and articulate. Sustain is quite good and there isn't a harshness some pickups have.

Al

8. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

I have a VV Hot T in the bridge of USACG chambered mahogany tele. I've used the VV neck in a poplar homebrew also.

Personally, I like them. The Hot T is now mated with a Dimarzio Classic PAF.

IMO, the Hot T can twang very well...the regular VV is bit more twangy and snappy, but the Hot T fits my style ( and this guitar ) much better. Roll the tone control down a bit and it's more into P-90 territory.

I'm not a traditonal tele picker, so take that into account. I play blues and mostly use the neck pup. However, I do like to use the bridge pup for certain things and the Hot T has provided me with a very useful pickup that responds well to my guitars volume and tone controls. The subtle shadings are much appreciated and I find myself using it ( alone ) much more than before.

The Hot T has lived in this tele longer than any other bridge pups I've tried...such as, Dimarzio Twang King, Van Zandt Flat Pole, Duncan Broadcaster, SK T-90, Duncan Lil 59'r, Fender OV.

While I liked the above pups and they all had their strong points, the Hot T is best suited for this guitar, my gear and style. I've never been too hip on noiseless pups or Dimarzio in general, these have changed my mind.

I find the VV's to be more akin to a "real" single coil tone and feel wise. I do like the Lawrence pups, but they are more "hi-fi" ( for lack of a better description ) than the VV's.

The neck VV does a nice blend of tele, strat and mini hum neck tones. A great pup for clean blues playing.

I bought these used ( have since sold the neck pup ) from a fella that installed them for 10 minutes, hated them and jerked em out, so ymmv. Are they for everyone, no......but I'm glad I took a chance on them.

9. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Thanks Bonedance,

I'm not a "traditional" tele player either. But the Tele is a great rhythmguitar. And it sits so well in laid back music (Sheryl Crow, Nora Jones). In other words music my PRS guitars don't. So I want it to sound like a tele, that's why I want to still be able to "twang", even though I'm not a normal Tele player.

By some of your comments and other comments I've read, the VV's might be a good way to go.

Thanks

10. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

You're welcome! For the type of music you stated and tones you're after, the VV's would be an excellent choice. They sit well in the mix, work very well with dirt and time based effects and respond well to tone control tweaks. The straight tone is excellent and the ability to shade different tones a big plus.

Again, I've been through a boat load of great sounding tele pups, but the VV's are the ones that do it for me right now. I'm a tweaker by nature and usually have one or two pickups in the wings I can't wait to try. I must say, I'm pretty shocked the VV's have quelled that desire.

11. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Thats encouraging bonedance…

I’m assuming you’re good with a soldering iron. I’ve built and modded some pedals so I think I’ll do just fine wiring some PU’s. I’m not much of a schematic reader, but I can follow instructions. Are there pretty good instructions included with the VV’s?

When someone talkes about “500k” pots, they’re speaking of the volume control correct, or is it the tone control. Do you think I should go with the 500k’s? Would I still be able to get enough bite without changing the pots?

Thanks again.

12. fyler

fyler Member

their not the T's, but i have some Virtual Vintage P90's in my guitar & i think they sound fantastic...and not just 'for the money'. Dimarzios are A) great sounding B) great value C) great selection of pickups to choose from.

13. Bonedance

Bonedance Member

Kind of a late respose to this, but here goes. The instructions Dimarzio provides are first rate. Good info and lots of wiring options explained very clearly. If you'r hand ywith an iron, you'll ahve no problems. Plus, if you have a specific question on a certain wiring situation ) split/series/paralell/etc ) or mating pups from various winders, email Steve at Dimarzio and he will get back with you within the day with a nice diagram. I've botherd him several times and he was prompt and curtious with the info each time.

The 500K pots can be both volume and tone, or either. Dimarzio recommends a 250 or 500 for the vol and a 1meg for the tone for maximum clarity. I use 250K's ( V&T ) myself with a neck bucker ( now Manlius...killer btw ) and the VV Hot T. I prefer the tone and taper 250K's provide. YMMV. I've been tempted to drop a 1meg tone control in there to see how it will sound, but in all honesty, I'm so pleased with the way it sounds and responds now, I don't want to muck anything up!

Since this post first aired, I've tried several other "off the shelf" and botique bridge pups "just in case" I was missing something. My ears must be used to the Hot T, cause each one I tried paled in comparrison and made me realize what a great pickup the Hot T is for my needs. I made the comment before about it not really being a hot pickups, but compared the vintage winds, it definatley has more power and girth. I like the combo of twang, spank and beef though. Works for me.

A buddy was very interested in the Hot T, so I loaned it to him for a go. He uses a Duncan Broadcasters & Duncan 54 in his teles. He commented on how different the Hot T responds and how he has had to change his style a bit to compensate. He is used to really digging in with the vintage winds and finds he does not have to do that with the Hot T.

Once again, this pup is not for everyone. Country pickers probably won't cotten to it, ( tho hot version anyway ) but if your more into the rock/blues thing, I think it will do a great job.

I'd still be interested in hearing others thoughts good or bad about the VV tele pups.

14. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Hey, long time Bondance!! Thanks for the reply!

Cool about the instructions Dimarzio provides! I just put together a thinline warmoth tele for a friend and the instructions for his Seth Lover SD's were vegue at best. So I really had to do some reseach before wireing them up.

Yep, I'm hoping my wife springs for the Virtual T's for Christmas!! I'm really tired of the hum from my stock Fender PU's.

It would be great to resurect this thread... Please, others chime in!

15. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Merry Christmas!!!
    My wife did get me the VV's for my Tele! I got them installed, and man
    I love them!!! They sound more even than the stock PUs, but still sound
    like a great set of single coils. The twang and bite is still there!!
    Anyone wanting some noiseless PU's should definitly try these out. They
    definitly hang with my bud's Kinman's...
    I will post some sound samples soon... but I also got another amazing
    Christmas present, my brand new baby boy Joshua!! He was born on
    Tuesday and I don't want to wake him or his mom.<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]

16. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

OK here's a quick sound sample of the pickups. The first is my best chickin pickin imitation with my Maxon Compressor (sorry to all you good country players). Then I kick on the Eternity at the end. Now I set this up pretty bright to feature the "single-coil-ness" of these pickups. I probably wouldn't usually play with such a twangy tone.

Thanks for all your guy's input, I'm quite pleased with these pickups.

Later

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=3262531&q=hi

17. Leftee

Leftee Guest

I do partake in the cheaper gear myself. Day-um cheap, in fact. I have no experience with the pickups you were asking about though.

18. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

The virtual hot tele bridge pickup absolutely kills. It has a bit more girth than the Virtual T yet screams TELE!. I get a killer Buchananesque tone out of it. I previously had the Lawrence tele pup's in there and loved them... well until I heard the VV's. You may find that the Virtual hot bridge pup will hum a little if you use a standard steel bridge. It is totally quiet with a brass bridge, like the Gotoh. I recorded the Virtual Tele clips for the Dimarzio site.

Harry Jacobson
    www.harryj.net