• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Dimarzio wiring question

mattmccloskey

Silver Supporting Member
I have just wired up my new home-brew superstrat with the following set-up:

Dimarzio 36th ann. PAF in the bridge

Dimarzio Area 61 in middle

Dimarzio Area 61 in neck

I have it wired with a master tone and volume, 500k pots, and a CRL 5-way.

The problem is - all pickups by themselves sound great, and the neck and middle position sounds normal also. The combo of the bridge Bucker and middle area 61 sounds completely tiny, weak, nasal, like there is some serious phase cancellation or something.

How can I go about getting that position sounding right? Do I have to get a 'super-switch' and wire it differently?
Any help is appreciated, Thanks!

If the neck and middle pickups sound good together, reverse the output and ground wires on the humbucker--if you can. If you can't, meaning the humbucker has no other wires than an output wire and a mesh shield, then you'll have to reverse the ground and output wires on both of the other pickups.

Last edited:

mattmccloskey

Silver Supporting Member
If the neck and middle pickups sound good together, reverse the output and ground wires on the humbucker--if you can. If you can't, meaning the humbucker has no other wires than an output wire and a mesh shield, then you'll have to reverse the ground and output wires on both of the other pickups.
that did the trick, thanks. Funny, I have probably wired up 50 or more pickups in my life and I never had that happen. seems weird that it would be that way on 3 pickups from the same maker, but it definitely was the problem. either way it sounds good now. Thanks again-

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
How's that 36th anniv. sound in a strat? I'm getting one for my semi hollow.

drod1985

The same thing just happened to me with 2 Dimarzio Area singles and a Dimarzio Air Zone. Started a thread on it just a few threads down. Glad you got it fixed!

mattmccloskey

Silver Supporting Member
How's that 36th anniv. sound in a strat? I'm getting one for my semi hollow.
It sounds great. I bought the standard model (not the 'bridge' model) but with F spacing and it sounds really nice. I am mostly a single coil player on strats and teles, but wanted a slightly beefier super-strat type guitar for a band I play in that does lots of rock covers.
I don't like the sound of real hot pickups, and since I am used to singles, this 36th ann. PAF is perfect, as it sounds fat and drives nicely, but still balances with the area pickups and retains plenty of clarity, harmonics, and dynamics. It is not compressed or overly midrangey like many humbuckers, yet it is still real smooth. I think it would work really well in a 335 type guitar.

Trending Topics