Dimebag Darrell Was the Greatest Metal Guitarist?

j_el_jee

I’ve seen a lot of shows. A LOT. Pantera at least 8 times. Dime played 1000% every single time. Whether or not he’s “the greatest”, that dude embodied metal to the core, clearly had a sh**load of fun playing and brought years of joy to his fans. That’s enough for me.

Shredtrash

Gold Supporting Member
He's a monster for sure and I love his style. I know it's subjective but there's certainly a very good argument to be made.

Wyatt Martin

When grunge came along I was going the thrash route. I was playing in an originals thrash band and I remember one day at practice when we cut for break the other guitarist popped "VDOP" into the boom box and hit play. I just remember standing there in bewilderment as Dime had that sliding power chord main riff to "Mouth For War". It was one of those "man, I really suck moments".

Best or not is debatable but Dime clearly owned the 90s and saved guitar, at least for me, during that decade. Nobody else was making that much of an impact at that time that I can recall.

When grunge came along I was going the thrash route. I was playing in an originals thrash band and I remember one day at practice when we cut for break the other guitarist popped "VDOP" into the boom box and hit play. I just remember standing there in bewilderment as Dime had that sliding power chord main riff to "Mouth For War". It was one of those "man, I really suck moments".

Best or not is debatable but Dime clearly owned the 90s and saved guitar, at least for me, during that decade. Nobody else was making that much of an impact at that time that I can recall.
I see what you did there...

"The best" is an absurdity. My favourite for sure. Besides his shredding abilities, his unique and freaky use of the whammy bar and all the riffs, I love the part of Texas Blues that shows up in most of his bendings or sustained notes. And the closing solo in their cover of Sabbath's "Planet Caravan". That did it for me. I remember listening to that when it came out and being like "Whoa! Wait! This guy REALLY is something else"

To me dime’s playing was a lot like EVH. Despite being known for soloing neither actually played all that many solos on their albums and they stuff they didn’t was all that super crazy difficult … but they played their stuff perfectly. To me it’s like going to a 5 star restaurant and being served a little dish that is super decadent and cooked to perfection. Makes sense that they got along.

It’s hard for me at least tho prob most others to touch their stuff and do it any justice and feel satisfied playing their stuff .. other players Hendrix Megadeth etc I play and feel good about because they’re playing is more noodling and loose but dime and evh it’s like perfection that I’m never going to have cause that’s my style. I’d say mechanical but don’t mean to say that there was any lack of feeling in their playing.

dcburn

Silver Supporting Member
Chris Oliva
Michael Denner
Adrian Smith
Uli Jon Roth
Tony Iommi
Glenn Tipton
Mark Reale
Jeff Young
David Chastain
Akira Takasaki
Yngwie J Malmsteen
Randy Rhoads

Just some guitarists I enjoyed more than Dimebag Darrel.

I could easily expand that list, but I think that is enough.

Dimebag was great. Don’t get me wrong. I just don’t think he was the greatest.

It’s obviously subjective.

Maybe Dimebag is your top gun - good for you, but he wasn’t the greatest to everyone. I think just about everyone would say “he was a great guitar player” though. That’s pretty great right there.
How dare you omit the great Dave Murray!
Great list otherwise...

UpDog

He was a great metal guitarist for sure. Wouldn't say "best." Because it's subjective. Honestly, Pantera was not even one of my favorite bands back then. I had thousands of cassette tapes, but I only owned one Pantera cassette. :shrugs:

DrewJD82

ive never heard dime mess up...granted, Iommi did play some loud ass blues licks...but still

I’ve literally watched *every* Pantera bootleg I’ve been able to find on YouTube, between him AND Vinnie I haven’t heard a mistake, it’s ridiculous. Especially as loaded as those guys got before/during the show.

DrewJD82

I don’t get into the whole “best” thing, but Dimebag was the man. I’ve certainly never heard a guitarist as accurate as he is live, especially someone who got as hammered as that dude did. His riffs bring a smile to my face and always have.

Dime and Vinnie were the Ed and Alex of a new generation/genre.

I‘ve got Far Beyond Driven tattooed on one of my arms because Pantera was such a huge part of my teen years and 20’s. Back in the late 90’s my drummer put the Watch It Go home video on and I was immediately awestruck by Dimebag, more than his playing, his enthusiasm for life and pursuit of a good time was huge for me…..and partially to blame for the absurd amounts of alcohol I consumed for years after.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom