Dimrzio Tone Zone and Air Norton in a Mahogany guitar?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by TheGuildedAge, Jun 19, 2008.

1. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

Looking to replace the Duncan 59s in my guild with something better suited for harder rock, while still having a decent clean tone.

I already have an air zone in a strat, and want something different.

Has anyone tried this combo in a mahagony/sg style guitar. Too muddy, jsut right?

My other option is Vintage Vibe humbucker sized P90s. I'm still debating.

2. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I've had this very combo in an all mahogany guitar - a Dean Cadillac - larger all around than an SG and they sounded great.

3. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

How were the cleans? Do they clean up well with a jcm800 style amp?

4. Shredcow

Shredcow Member

Both pups are warmer sounding dimarzios... so people often complain they (esp the tonezone) tend to mud up. However, I found that with proper pup height adjustments, things aren't that bad. Warm, yes, but the mud can be cured... to a large extent.

I suppose if your guitar is warm sounding to begin with, you might want to reconsider the TZ. It does have a lot of low end.

I found the Double Whammy (discontinued but still available on ebay) to be the TZ with less low end. You might want to check that out.