Dine in cinema, or studio movie grill

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Laurence, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

I went to one last night, my wife's birthday and she wanted to go. It's interesting. Order drinks, food, retractable tray on your chair and watch a movie.

To me it killed the communal event of watching a film (leaning over to the person next to you to make a comment, observation or ask a question).

I don't often get to the cinema because my eyeglass prescription is pretty severe and lots of camera movement on a large screen can make me nauseous. I don't think thethis is the way I want to view a film. To me, at home is still the best for my physical limitations.

time2kill likes this.
  2. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Yeah, we went to one on my birthday a few years ago. I like the idea of mixed drinks, wine or beer and hors d'oeuvres at the seats, but the prices are pretty outrageous. I mean, yeah I expect to pay $14 for a tickets, but $14 for a martini, a 12oz imported beer or a glass of wine? I'd rather take the hundred bucks, go out to dinner, go home and watch a movie and have some drinks.

3. Madsen

Madsen Member

I've been to a couple good ones & a couple not so good. Luxe & Alamo Drafthouse have good food, drinks ,comfy seats, food trays & they deliver during the movie. Galaxy Luxury has comfy seats & food & drinks out front, no delivery. Some others have bad bar food, old crappy seats, no table to put your food, ect.

Laurence likes this.
  4. 80tiger

80tiger Gold Supporting Member

Only two I’ve been to had middling food - in Dallas and New Orleans. All restaurants should have good food or I ain’t comin back.

Laurence likes this.
  5. Calebz

Calebz Member

I went to one in Dallas probably 12-13 years ago. Food was ok. Concept was reasonably well executed.

I read some of the reviews of the same place a few years later. Based on the reviews, I would not have gone.

Laurence likes this.
  6. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

Hate the idea. Just seems like a terrible place to eat a meal. And the food isn’t great, anyway. I also happen to think the “snacks” have gotten way out of control, though, also. Just stick to candy and popcorn and watch the dang movie.

Laurence, spunky and ned7flat5 like this.
  7. JiveJust

JiveJust Member

Alamo Drafthouse does it right.

Laurence and Madsen like this.
  8. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

I’ve partaken of a couple of Gold Pass tickets given as gifts.

The waiter service and types of overpriced food items requiring too much “eyes down” scrutiny to facilitate consumption are an unwelcome interruption to one’s viewing. The layback leather armchairs were nice.

However, on each occasion, the forgettable movie selection was particular uninspiring and unworthy of the extravagance anyway. I remember one was 21 Jump Street!!

Laurence likes this.
  9. somecafone

somecafone Member

I can think of nothing worse.

ned7flat5 and Laurence like this.
  10. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Silver Supporting Member

Cinebistro is one of our favorite date spots. Upscale menu with exceptional food. Cocktails are as exceptional well. The bar and lounge are nice enough we alway show up early for a drink and an appetizer. Yes it’s expensive. Think of it as going out to dinner with a movie - not going out to a movie with dinner.

21+ only after 6pm so the crowd is usually respectful and not on their phones or chatting throughout the movie. Food is delivered during the previews, not after the movie starts. Giant recliners and maybe only 7 rows of them.

They have the formula perfected.

Laurence likes this.
  11. Jim Fisher

Jim Fisher Silver Supporting Member

The Commodore Theater is Portsmouth, VA is a real treat. Opened in 1945, and later restored to it's art deco theme, each table has a phone so you can order your food & drinks and the THX sound system is fantastic.

https://www.commodoretheatre.com/index.php

Laurence likes this.
  12. spunky

spunky Member

Yeah....no. This kind of set up doesn't work for me either. When I go to see a film I do not want anything to distract me, especially waitstaff walking around serving food, and I do not want to be eating either. I like the idea of having a cocktail while viewing, but that's about as far as I'll go.

Laurence, Redub and A-Bone like this.
  13. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Member

I love Studio Movie Grill! Seriously, I won’t even go out to a see a movie anywhere else.

Most movies kinda suck anyway, so the experience of downing a pitcher of margaritas or some wine and having dinner, (for me) takes all the pressure off the movie, and at least guarantees that I’ll have a somewhat enjoyable evening.

.... and on the nights where the food and movie are good, it’s like doubling the WIN!

Laurence likes this.
  14. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

I think a drink is ok but no meals please.

The lighted “little” screens are distraction enough.

Laurence likes this.
  15. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

Hate ‘em. It combines the worst way to have a meal with the worst way to watch a movie.

Laurence likes this.
  16. Madsen

Madsen Member

I've enjoyed a couple of their classic themed movie nights. They hand out props & prizes. The crowd is mostly people who love the film.

Laurence likes this.
  17. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

I absolutely love Alamo Drafthouse.

Good food, good drinks, everything is clean, everything works, a$$hole behavior is not tolerated. You get entertaining shorts related to the movie before the previews.

Assigned seats, no standing in line like cattle, all the ticket terminals work.

And the tickets aren't really more expensive than your average movie theater where you can only eat $9 soggy nachos with an $8 coke.

Laurence and Madsen like this.
  18. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

I have been next to a dude eating chicken wings in a loud manner - licking his fingers and smacking his lips - for a good chunk of a film once. That memory alone is enough for me to pass on dine in movie experiences. I'm in the no distractions camp as well.

ned7flat5, Laurence and A-Bone like this.
  19. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Although I understand the economics behind it, I wish cinema-going and eating hadn't been paired as activities.

20. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

Yeah, I completely get a theater owner doing it from a business perspective, but just not a fan.

Laurence and A-Bone like this.