Dings on back of guitar neck!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by TBIRD Phil, Feb 27, 2009.

1. TBIRD Phil

TBIRD Phil Member

I just got back my gibson ES335 from a local shop that had the frets re-crowned. Good thing is the frets turned out great, bad thing is that they took a month to do a simple job AND there were chatter marks on the back of the neck! I didn't notice it till I got home. I was so mad, but I didn't want to wait forever for them to fix it. I took matters into my own hands not knowing how it would turn out.
    The marks seemed to only be finish deep but you could clearly feel them.
    I got some 0000 steel wool and sanded them down just to they point where you couldn't feel them then finished it off with some meguiars scratchX. turned out perfect!
    I took before and after pics but you cant make out the dings so Ill just post a pic of the guitar this happened to.
    What would you guys have done???

[​IMG]

2. skullfunkerry

skullfunkerry Member

I'd quite possibly have done what you did, I wouldn't have wanted to wait forever either.

I would definitely have contacted them though, probably taking the guitar back to show them, and told them how unhappy I was... maybe tried to get some store credit to compensate or something.

Glad it worked out okay for you in the end though!

3. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

I think I probably would have tried to steam out the dings before sanding them back.

-Austin

4. saggybottom

saggybottom Member

I had some fretwork done and got the guitar back with little 1/8 in pin holes in the back of the neck. Tool marks I guess?

I had a different guy fill them with nitro finish. Can't even tell there was an issue.

Still pisses me off that the tech doing the job didn't protect the guitar better while working on it or say anything about the damage he did to my guitar.

5. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I do this to raw wood fairly often.

Does this really work on finished guitar parts without popping the finish loose? Wow.

Much obliged.

BTW, the Scratch X is great for getting pickguard film residue off of NOS guitar pickguards. But don't wait too long, it just means more tedious work.

6. 57special

57special Member

Really? On a finished neck?

7. TBIRD Phil

TBIRD Phil Member

The back of my guitar neck is finished. I read on other forums that you can steam wood to get dings out, but I assumed it was only on something unfinished. I just wish people took more time when working on some ones baby and not just slam it down on any table and mar the finish up so bad.