Dino's Guitars Rust Box (review)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dougb415, Apr 11, 2008.

1. dougb415

dougb415 Member

A while back I saw a post here that was asking for FX testers. I applied and got accepted and was offered my choice of pedals to review. I chose the Rust Box. Bilbal and Macaroni have already submitted their reviews, and my results were somewhat similar. It has been an interesting project so far.

There was a Fedex note on my front door on Mar 25th, letting me know that I had to sign for a parcel. Yay! My wife and I drove out to the Fedex office to pick it up. She opened it as I drove home, and when I heard her go “uh-oh” I knew there was a problem. The box looked crushed, and when she opened it we both saw a horrible sight – a beautiful pedal that was smashed; it literally looked like someone had taken a pickax to it! It was a depressing ride home to say the least. I did get to look at the pedal closely tho, and this is one strong box made with quality components. All of the knobs and switches were still in perfect working order – too bad the same couldn’t be said for the circuit board!

My wife was of the opinion that Dino’s would say “Thanks much, return the pedal, bye-bye” but that was not the case at all. Andy Bagnasco @ Dino’s is probably the best Customer Support person I have ever dealt with. I sent pics to them and reported the incident to my local Fedex office. The smashed pedal is now artwork in my studio. Andy had another unit sent out to me a week or so later and this one arrived unscathed on Apr 4th.

As has been mentioned, the Rust Box has 4 knobs - Gain, Volume, Bass and Treble. They use chickenhead knobs, which add a vintage look to the pedal. It also has a 3-way toggle. 1st position is light OD, 2nd is heavier gain with compression, 3rd is heavier yet. This is one versatile dirt box!

I tested the pedal with my R9 Lester and Strat Plus (the Lace pickups were swapped for 57/62s) into a Fender SuperSonic combo. I am in a bedroom studio, so volume is quite low.

Setting the toggle switch to the 1st position gave some great rhythm tones, crunchy for the LP, fat and greasy for the Strat. Add some vibrato and we were in John Fogerty territory.

When I put the toggle switch in the 2nd position I got some great singing lead tones out of the LP. However, bass notes were not as tight as I would've liked. Not that it was the pedal's fault; this pedal adds to your tone, as opposed to radically changing it. I was trying to dial in a "Just Got Paid" tone but couldn't nail it.

Switching to the Strat was a more positive experience. This pedal really works well with single coils, much better than with humbuckers. YMMV. I had a lot of fun with this setup, and literally played for hours. Then I put the toggle switch back in the 1st position and had my wife play some rhythm stuff so I could sit back and just listen. What a *killer* sound!

Putting the toggle in the 3rd position was serious fuzztone-land, more than I would use. I'm sure that other players would love this level of gain. Rock on, dudes!

I’ve been on a quest for the ‘right’ OD pedal for a while now. Hellbaby didn’t do it (sorry Bob!), Little Facher is sitting in a drawer along with the Bad Monkey, SD Twin Tube went back to GC. With the Rust Box I have found a keeper.

I should mention that I too am of Italian heritage on my mom's side (Fregetto). So I am proud and happy to be able to have a pedal of this high caliber sent to me from 'the old country'.

A big 'CONGRATULATIONS!" to Andy and the folks at Dino's Guitars. I would definitely recommend this pedal to other players.

2. dougb415

dougb415 Member

3. ford

ford Supporting Member

I love how they immediately took care of the problem that wasn't their fault!

Their pedals look great.

rock

bford

4. dougb415

dougb415 Member

When I get home I'll up a pic of the smashed pedal. I've never seen anything arrive in such sad condition. They sure did make good on the replacement unit tho.

5. trivial

trivial Member

6. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Here's a pic of the smashed pedal:

[​IMG]

7. ford

ford Supporting Member

Yeah, that's no good!!!!

I've been very fortunate with USPS and pedals... hope it keeps up.. I have a Korg pitch black and a Lovekraft Chupacabra on the way...!!!

Haven't had as much luck with UPS/FedEx and guitars though...:mad:

8. dougb415

dougb415 Member

Keep in mind, this is no cheapo plastic pedal - it wasn't like someone just stepped on it or something, or even drove over it. It took a direct hit, probably by a forklift blade (my guess).