Diodes on the Power Tube Plates...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by JubileeMan 2555, Jan 7, 2008.

1. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Hey there. I wanted to ask a question regarding the diodes that are pictured in the photo I've attached to this post.

I read a while back that diodes here would be used to prevent any damage done to the transformer if a power tube were to short or blow.

BUT, what I want to know is if there is any possible sonic affects this might have.

I've noticed Diodes in the reverse direction have a resistance but I'm not sure if I understand Diodes. Is it possible that the about 1meg of resistance created from the diodes going the opposite direction effects the tone of the amp? any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

Thanks for the info...
    ...Do you know of any sonic qualities this fail-safe might have on the amp?

3. 89Custom

89Custom Member

I've always wondered if putting a fuse in series would prevent shorting failures, but still suppress the voltage spikes...of course you would need to check the fuse every once in a while.

4. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

True, but the way they're daisy-chained makes it so extremely unlikely that it can basically be discounted. If they're 1N4007s, every one in one of the stacks (three each in this amp) would have to short for there to be any risk to the transformers.

And as usual, a HT fuse would remove even that risk (as well as several others).

BTW, that amp appears to still have a 'death cap' fitted on the ground switch, which is FAR more of a danger in every way.

It's funny how people will do one (largely unnecessary) reliability 'upgrade', and miss two much more important and useful ones...

:)

5. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I just KNEW you'd see that .047cap peakin' it's head out...LOL. No worries, that was one of the first things I disconnected when I bought the amp. The other end of the cap is soldered to the chassis using higher temp solder then my soldering iron can melt. So, it'll stay there unconnected for now;)

6. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

I would snip it off and keep it for repairing a tone stack or something where the original-type cap has some potential value :).

Then you can remove the ground switch entirely, fit a HT fuseholder in the hole, and not have to worry about a lot of nasty failures that take out trannys...

BTW, what's that arc burn in the edge of the chassis lip above the fuseholder from? Has the wire underneath it burned as well? If so, replace it. (It could also be from where someone was metering the voltage on the fuseholder and touched the chassis with the side of the probe though... you probably shouldn't ask how I know that, I'm supposed to know what I'm doing ;).)

7. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

I agree. Every amp I've owned for any length of time that has these eventually winds up blowing HT fuses due to shorting. I think they just can't handle the duty cycle.

8. Dai H.

Dai H. Member

would it possible to use higher current rated diodes(1N5408--1kV 3A, etc.) or put a cap in series(I have no idea if that would effect anything) to increase their reliability?

9. zippo

zippo Member

Reliability? Those diodes serve no purpose except to improve the odds of frying your output transformer. I'd like to believe the dude who proposed that absurd mod (K. Fisher) was just high at the time.

10. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

When diodes fail, they go short. Almost always a nice clean hard short. This blows the fuse right now. That saves output and power trannies.

I've seen a number of amps where they've done their job perfectly, sacrificed themselves blew the fuse and instead of having to find and replace arced, burned tube sockets or diagnose an arced output tranny, I just snipped and replaced the diodes.

Look at the circuit and the diode's characteristics. If you are replacing them, then you are replacing them instead of a larger, more expensive part. They do not blow unless something is wrong.

11. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

I'm assuming the "diodes" go from ground to each of the primary leads with the cathode on the leads. If you are measuring some resistance with the diodes reverse-biased they are probably TVS's. They are a better bet than using silicon diodes because they are designed more like a zener in that they start conducting at a certain voltage and keep much higher voltages from appearing across the tubes, or the windings of the tranny during unloading of the secondary. Usually amplifiers with these have a circuit breaker which will open during a fault and basically save itself. Is this a Traynor?

12. BillyJoeJimBob

BillyJoeJimBob Member

I don't mean to hijack, but is there any chance someone could point me at a schematic of some amp w/these diodes in place. I've never seen this before and am always fascinated to learn about techniques to make circuits more robust or protected from expensive/catastrophic failure. Thanks!

13. zippo

zippo Member

You have no way of knowing that. All you know is that you have seen a case where the diode went, shorted the B+ to ground through the transformer primary, and that the amp fuse happend to blow before the output transfomer was damaged. That is not always the case.
    The "protection mod" can fail in amps that have nothing wrong with them and has the potential to take out the output transformer.

14. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

IIRC, I think one of Ceriatone's amps has them on a layout.

15. zippo

zippo Member

They are also in some newer Fender amps, i.e the Hot Rod series and Blues Deluxe. But Fender uses 3kV reverse breakdown so they are less likely to fail.

16. Structo

Structo Member

I believe Ampeg is the origin of this mod.

Ken F. worked there and that is where he learned about it.

17. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

Check an old Ampeg V4 schematic.

18. stratman_el84

stratman_el84 Member

Just a thought on the diode-string and the reported failures of individual diodes:

Would adding transient-averaging caps of small value across each diode in the string improve reliability? I've see this methodology used in HV discrete-diode bridge rectifier circuits used in amateur radio transmitter power amplifiers that use vacuum tubes to improve reliability. Maybe this method may also work here, removing or greatly-reducing one of the major drawbacks to using this type output-section protection.

Cheers!

Strat

19. Norse

Norse Member

May want to look at the heater wiring polarity as well on the power tubes. Looks to be out of phase from here.