Dipinto Galaxie 4

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 6789, Jun 16, 2008.

1. 6789

6789 Member

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  2. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

I wish I did. If it is good enough for Eddie Angel, it is plenty good enough for me!

3. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

They aren't crazy good, but they also aren't bad. I like them, but they are a touch expensive for what you're getting if you are buying new. Used the price is fair. I really feel the new Mexico Jazzmaster and Jaguar, and the J Mascis Jazzer if you like gaudy, really outshine these guys, but when these came out they were the only game in town at this price range.

The pickups are a little gimicky only in that you don't get a whole lot of different unique tones. Lots of your selection sound very close. But that said the tones you get are nice solid sounds.

The look is unique, and if set up well they play great. I sold mine after a few months because a crazy deal on a brand new Jag came up (less than most were going for used). I miss it because it was cool, not because it did something unique. But it definitely attracted attention! Mine had the strat style switch so I can't comment on how well the rockers last.

4. AxeTrader

AxeTrader Member

It's a heck of a looker. I have the sunburst finish with 4 individual pickup switches. I agree the tonal differences aren't as great as a strat's 5 way pickup selector. They definitely look cool on the guitar especially with the tortoise pickguard and matching headstock. It's a beautiful guitar.

5. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Chris Dipinto had a really cool Galaxie at his shop a few years back with a ZVEX fuzz factory on board, mounted under the pickguard...VERY cool...

6. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Ted: I'm in this game now, just picked up a green one here in the emporium. It came in Thursday. Got to play it yesterday and today a bit. Here are pics from the seller:

Wizard of Oz GREEN:

[​IMG]

Rocketman:

[​IMG]

It's a 2000, close to mint condition. Odd as hell, strikingly beautiful. Have to get it on stage to be sure, need a proper setup, but in the meantime, the initial vote is all positive. A LOUD guitar with non-chintzy tones. Plus real mojo. Only looks like a jazzmaster. Wider, flatter, heftier neck. Sounds start in the strat camp, go new places. It's set up now with a medium high action. I'll have it lowered, frets polished (won't need much), some tweaks to the nut, bridge and trem.

Lots of depth and muscle in these pickups. Eddie Angel leaves it on bridge only, and gets all kinds of subtle shadings. It's mostly him, no mistake on that. I like the middle two and neck only just as much or more. I'll check back with more once I can play it out. Very cool guitar! My mission now is to get it as playable as possible.

7. pitner

pitner Member

I have one and its cool. Doesn't stay in tune as well as I would like but it does sound good. Mine was a 2 humbucker model but I rewired it to a five way switch so now its four single coils and the neck pair as a humbucker. Could also be the bridge as a humbucker but I preferred the neck. I live near Philly so I took it in to Chris DiPinto for a signature on the back side of the headstock. Mine is white with a brownish/red pickguard and headstock overlay.

8. Burgs

Burgs Member

9. 6789

6789 Member

Excellent video demo. thanks

10. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Burger: Excellent demo. I've been playing mine a lot lately. Not sure if I'm just lucky or whether all are like this, but it has a distinct vibe, and a lot going for it tonally. Excellent sustain, ringing sounds up and down the neck. Has the older Rickenbacker floating bridge. Strange, but probably a big part of why it sounds so good. (Though it will feed back from string vibrations behind the bridge.) The trem is stable, very useable (though mine creaks is use, luckily not picked up through the pickups). I stick mainly with neck only, bridge only tones.

Much more here than the price would indicate. Turns out be be a fine open tuning and slide guitar too. More blues in here than you might think. It's a keeper.

11. yucatown

yucatown Theory-free noodling enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I own one too. Sunburst with the 4 rocker switches. Great for recording. I find all sounds usable. A keeper, indeed.

12. straightblues

straightblues Member

Resurrecting a very old thread. Not much information about these guitars. Who else owns one? What is the neck shape? Hoping they have some meat on them. Liking the tones on look of them.