Dire Straits NOT to perform at the RnR Hall of Fame induction

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by 2016aug29, Apr 5, 2018.

1. wire-n-wood

wire-n-wood Member

This is not a big drama. It’s fine. If someone asked me to attend an event for stuff I was doing decades ago (...and nobody is asking...) I’d skip it too.

TubeStack and Gallus like this.
  2. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

I completely get why Knopfler wouldn’t want to go. DS was a long time ago and he’s not connected anymore. No big deal.

In addition, the RRHOF is a weird thing that has its own issues and not everyone buys into it.

I also don’t feel he’s required to make any sort of statement.

Gallus and wire-n-wood like this.
  3. rockabilly69

rockabilly69 Supporting Member

The rock and roll hall of fame is a joke, I love the Mark Knopfler is giving it the finger. He's one of my all-time favorites!

Mark 63 and TubeStack like this.
  4. rockabilly69

unless he thinks the rock and roll hall of fame is joke!

5. rockabilly69

My favorite post in a long time!!!

6. cadduc

cadduc Member

He doesn't want to do covers, even if he wrote, recorded, and performed them.

7. Gallus

Gallus Member

Makes sense to me as well, particularly after seeing the Bon Jovi clip over in the other RRHoF thread.

You've got to get together with a bunch of blokes you haven't seen in 20-30 years. They probably don't exactly live across the street anymore. Presumably there'd be some kind of rehearsal schedule... a fair bit of coordination.

All for the chance to get up at an event that has barely any relevance to anything and sound like a bunch old dudes who haven't played that material together for a long, long while. Hardly a last image you want to leave behind for fans of the music.

And a lot for a 70-year old with a bad back who seems to prefer the quiet life these days to get his head around.

Seeing as there's a fan element to the voting, it might of been nice for MK to send a nice letter along to be read out, but, speaking as a lifelong DS fan, I know for one I'll get over it... Hey look - I'm over it already. ;)

TubeStack and tiktok like this.
  8. msteeln

msteeln Member

the HoF is a famous joke and this pettiness by Mark is just another stain of the memory of good Rock n Roll.
    oh well, there's plenty of other really good NEWS to enjoy in recent days!

2016aug29 likes this.
  9. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

When history judges rock acts, one of the first questions asked will be "How did they do at their HoF induction?"

Bob Maximus and Crowder like this.
  10. msteeln

msteeln Member

and everybody will ask quizzically, wtf is a RnRHoF induction? then laugh hysterically at the answer!

11. GravityJim

GravityJim Silver Supporting Member

Fact: you don’t know what anyone else is thinking. Ever.

But I’m sure that TGP will continue to assume they know what’s in Mark Knopfler’s head, in addition to believing that he owes you something.

You don’t, and he doesn’t.

12. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Supporting Member

The weirdest part to me is that DS wasn't in the HoF already.

josetxu and TubeStack like this.
  13. Jim85IROC

Jim85IROC Member

This could all be true, but ultimately, not going made it about HIM again, instead of making it about the band. Most of the time the only way to shed your demons is to face them.

14. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

It's funny to me that people think not showing up at the induction is some meaningful form of protest w/r/t the HoF.

You really want to be rock'n'roll? Tell them they can't put you in the hall. Withhold the rights to your name and/or images.

You don't see anyone doing that because deep down they either think they belong there, or they at least want the exposure that comes with it.

15. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Supporting Member

It's always the $$$$$$$$$ so sad. Mark is worth millions

16. stratotastic

stratotastic Supporting Member

Stole my thunder--came here to post this. Basically shows how lame/inconsequential he thinks the HOF is.
    It's worse than that. Like I suggested above, it shows that they're probably not even thinking about it. Not even a blip on their radar and not worthy of any kind of response whatsoever. Actively sending a sh*tty letter or grandstanding by loudly declaring your refusal to be a part of it, although well meaning, are still attention grabs. Quietly ignoring it is the most exquisite burn possible.

rockabilly69 and stevenymets like this.
  17. Fezziwig

Fezziwig Member

The R&R HoF used to be a joke, but it has now become a rather big event for the fans. Yes, it's big business, but the fans seem to be enjoying it more and more, so it would have been a nice gesture by Mark to recognize them and give a statement. These guys forget that they wouldn't be doing music as a career at all without those fans. Acknowledge them, or you're an ass in my book. Plain and simple. I'm really tired of people who make their living off fan support saying stupid things like - "I don't owe anything to the fans." Bull-crap. Yes, you don't have to above and beyond what is reasonable, but ignoring them is selfish, thoughtless, and pathetic, even if you don't need their money anymore.

18. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

This was the basis for Steve Miller's anger a few years ago--particularly that he would have had to pay for his wife to attend. Not everyone who gets inducted into the HoF is ****-off rich, particularly the non-songwriting members of bands.

19. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

DS was never a proper band--it was always Mark Knopfler and Band, and as "Band" figured that out, sparks flew. Mark (and their manager) was very ambitious and willing to do a lot of work, and the two of them reaped the rewards much more than the rest of the band, who weren't getting publishing or production credits. David in particular didn't like the direction of the band (none of his songs, lots and lots of touring, his brother with the final say on everything) after the second album (the DS documentary on the Alchemy DVD is pretty grim) he gets sacked. Withers (the drummer) fails to make the cut after the fourth album sessions, and everyone except Illsey is an employee from that point onwards.

It's easy to imagine that MK doesn't want to revisit those years--he and David haven't spoken in decades, he's very used to playing with A-list studio musicians on salary, and he doesn't need the money or extra media exposure. So like a small number of "big Rock names", he's passed on the HoF.

Every time I've seen him on a solo tour, he's always done three or four DS tunes, but his solo catalog is now bigger than the DS catalog, and that's where his head is at. He seems to sell all the tickets with that approach, so it works out well for him. Which, is the point of going into business for yourself--you do what you want, the way you want to do it. Otherwise you're just working at the factory:

stratotastic and stevenymets like this.
  20. stevenymets

stevenymets Member

Riding on a unicorn through a gumdrop rainbow
    MK may have not shown for any number of reasons, most of the possible ones already listed in this thread, but none of us should assume we know the actual reasons why. Does he think the hall is a joke, maybe, did he want to give it the "finger", maybe (though why? what does he have against it?), did he just not feel like going to the airport and getting on a plane, hate the rest of the band members who were showing, doesn't like American Food, wanted to go to his grandkids birthday party instead, etc, etc, etc. I think a lot of assumptions are being made. Bottom line, he just didn't want to go, but unless we have direct proof, I wouldn't associate some additional meaning to this like he had some agenda.

As far as the cost of attending for the actual inductees, didn't Steve Miller make a big deal about this? The cost does sound ridiculous, especially for the honorees (that actually doesn't make sense to me that you would charge them), but I think I had heard the same thing. The model sounds a bit crazy to me. Matter of fact, I am surprised it has become as big of an event, assuming that the costs are exorbitant for all attendees.

Something to remember however, before we spew our vitriol at the hall, and I am not sure I "get it", so I am not necessarily an advocate, but it is a 501c3, a non profit, it does support music. It's mission on its form 990 is "To engage, teach and inspire through the power of rock and roll." As a 34 million per year in revenue non-profit, Greg Harris, the President and CEO takes home $530,000 in compensation, so, the guy that runs the hall is making a heck of a lot more money than many of the artists he is inducting each year. The Rock and Roll Hall Foundation, which is, my guess, the vehicle they use to fund their mission, is an 8 million per year organization. So, we can hate the hall, or think they are irrelevant, but their mission at least, is to promote a certain type of music that I personally love. Now, are they doing that well, are they doing it efficiently and effectively? I can't say, and I do think that Greg Harris' compensation seems to be a bit out of line with a non-profit of that size, but I am no expert. For example, a non-profit in a totally different field but approximately the same size, 36 million per year revenue, their CEO makes $183,000 per year. So, I do wonder about the Hall of Fame's financials......