Direct box for bass?

wingobingo

Here's an area I know very little about.... Our bass player is using a rather small rig for an outdoor gig..... I want to put him though the board in order to hit my k subs. He's using a 500 w ampeg portable X head with an XLR line out. Can I just go from this line out into the board or do I need a direct box in between? Thanks all. Bob

Rex Anderson

XLR line out is OK but must go to a line input on the console if it is putting out line level vs mic level. It has a switch on back to output mic level or line level.

Endr_rpm

There are a lot of opinions on this in bass land. For a one-off gig I'd say running his line out would be fine, his stage volume/sound is not likely to clash with FOH. I prefer to mic my (tube) amp, some will argue that a clean DI w/ no preamp is the only way to go to give FOH the most control.

Floyd Eye

I also prefer to mic my tube amps. When I go DI I usually use a SansAmp. If I did it often enough I would put out the bread for a REDDI.

In your situation I think I would go for a used VT Bass or just get a good JDI.

zenmindbeginner

Gold Supporting Member
A direct box converts from high impedance to low impedance... there would be no need for a direct box with an XLR out of the bass amp.

That amp has a balanced direct out with a pre/post EQ option, -40db pad and a ground lift... (already has a passive direct box built in to the amp). Modern Ampeg direct outs have a pretty hot output level so the sound man should start off with the gain down... might need to use the pad though. You'll know once you bring it up on the board.

335guy

IDK what an Ampeg portable X head is, but I had the Ampeg Portaflex PF-500 for awhile. It does have a balanced DI out with the pre/post EQ option and a -40 db pad switch and ground lift. I ran an XLR cable from that into my mixer many times and never had an issue. Just be sure to adjust your input gain/trim accordingly. It worked very well.

3dognate

Silver Supporting Member
My bassist runs DI from an Eden head and no cabinet and it sounds great in the house. My former bassist always ran a cabinet and fed the PA with a DI from his Ampeg head.

I've had experience live with these pedal DIs.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BassAttack <-- Sounds great a fill in bassist used one with my band a couple of dates with one and it performed very nicely and it's CHEAP.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SACVTBass2DI <-- this is a really bad ass sounding bass DI preamp.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BassDI <-- I have this one, it's pretty good sounding as long as the distortion is off... the distortion is a complete joke.. I can't recommend it.

aleclee

TGP Tech Wrangler
Staff member
For a one-off gig, I wouldn't bother buying anything under the circumstances.

Mike Monte

When I provide sound for bands I have found that Direct out's on bass amps, most of the time, produce some noise. For that reason I always use a DI box (all of mine have a ground lift switch) for bass applications. Even if the bassist says that there is usually no noise issues I will use a passive DI anyway just to be sure.
I use Horizon Stereoline and dPDB dual passive direct boxes. Both of which are two channel boxes as you never know when you'll need an extra DI channel on stage...

wingobingo

First, thanks everyone for your thoughts. Greatly appreciated. So if I understand this right, I could just use a standard xlr cable from the xlr out to one of the board channel xlr in....but start with the channel gain way down. Or should I go from the amps xlr out to the boards 1/4 inch in (same channel)?
Thanks again...Bob

Trending Topics