• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Direct Box question...

mmrxcsr01

Never had need till now, and just a general glance at a large online retailer shows pricing ranging from $19.95 to several hundreds. For a simple way to get the acoustic guitar into the PA, why the huge range in cost? Is there really a difference between a $20 di and a $100 one? I just need a 1/4" in, and a line out...thanks in advance-

Flogger59

Don't forget Countryman (Type 10 or Type 85). They've been the Nashville standard for a long time, and yes, a good DI makes a huge difference.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Things like the Para also add eq and other signal processing. You may want it, you may not. A basic DI just converts the high impedance signal coming out of the guitar, to low impedance for longer distance runs to the mixer. If your mixer is on stage, you probably don't even need that. If you're happy with your on-board preamp, the cheap ones will be fine for you.

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
Don't forget Countryman (Type 10 or Type 85). They've been the Nashville standard for a long time, and yes, a good DI makes a huge difference.
countryman is my choice these days.

i was using a shure impedance matching transformer (they go for around $40 now, i got mine over fifteen years ago). it did and still does a very fantastic job. my buddy made me try the countryman. . . . and it really was different. more clarity. i already had one of the most 'acoustic' sounding scenarios with my d35, now i am at the top of the heap. i challenge any performing artist to match my tone without a microphone (and i actually sound mic-ed). the countryman is an industry standard for a reason.

orogeny

Gold Supporting Member
type 85's are nice, and the industry standard, but they don't hold a candle to a U5 :)
i'd love to try one sometime. when can i come down?

sadly, even the pros i've heard who have 'em still don't sound as good as my setup. pretty sure it's my pickup that's the heart of that goodness though (petillo).

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
...why the huge range in cost? Is there really a difference between a $20 di and a $100 one?
with passive DI boxes, the difference is in how fat the transformer inside it is; better boxes have transformers that are strong enough to not saturate, so you don't lose high and low end and overall fidelity.

with active boxes, it's just like any other piece of electronic gear; the better ones have higher fidelity, better headroom, more durability and better features.

rokpunk

i generally stick to type 85's, the new type 10 stereo box, and the klark teknik purple DI. of course, i've got a slew of whirlwinds and other cheap passive boxes for those times where a band needs a dozen DI's (and it happens more often than you would think).

Trending Topics