Direct Box to tame Output 1 of AxeFX?

mtmartin71

Gold Supporting Member
I've read that you want to get the output into the 50% range for the AxeFX but sadly, when I use the XLR Output 1 to the board, I can't get any higher than 25% or so before I'm overloading it.

Two questions...

1) Is the output level and tone a myth? I've never been able to get Output 1 up to 50% to compare.

2) Will a direct box help me solve this issue and allow me to crank the output further and then control that to the board?

What console are you using? You should have a mic/line level switch on the mixer channel or a separate line level input on some or all of the channels.

A direct box a line to mic level pad would help but I would sort the mixer out first.

Scott Peterson

TGP Co-Founder and Administrator
Staff member
If your mixer does not have line level inputs, then you have to pad it down to mic level to use it with the analog XLR outs on the Axe-FX. I carry a direct box for clubs that cannot handle line level.

Dexter.Sinister

Still breathing
Platinum Supporting Member
If your mixer does not have line level inputs, then you have to pad it down to mic level to use it with the analog XLR outs on the Axe-FX. I carry a direct box for clubs that cannot handle line level.
What he said. Look into Radial...Muy Bien!

DS

Snap

My POD X3 wouldn't be near as tolerable without the Radial JDI DI I run it into. You should try one...

mentoneman

these have a "merge" function so instead of one 1/4" jack being an unbalanced in and the other being a "thru" to go to your stage amp

the merge button allows you to plug in a stereo source into the box (2- 1/4" unbalanced from source) and it correctly sums it to mono XLR out to the PA for you.

so you can keep the xlr outs for your stage amp(ala atomic) in stereo like your ears want, and use output 2 on the axe to feed the Radial DI and the house.

you still lose stereo imaging to the house and all the stereo to mono weirdness that comes with that but, for guys that play in a mono house it gives you options.

mtmartin71

Gold Supporting Member
I thought it was here that I read that but my posting history doesn't back it. Maybe it was at the Fractal Forum? I could have sworn reading a post where a few mentioned that you want to get the output closer to noon for a good signal. That could be wrong.

I'm going to try and find a good direct box so I have something to better control the situation myself.

Jay Mitchell

I could have sworn reading a post where a few mentioned that you want to get the output closer to noon for a good signal. That could be wrong.
It is wrong. The sound quality you get from the Axe-Fx is unaffected by the position of the output level pots.

mtmartin71

Gold Supporting Member
What console are you using? You should have a mic/line level switch on the mixer channel or a separate line level input on some or all of the channels.

A direct box a line to mic level pad would help but I would sort the mixer out first.
OK, so I figured this out finally...I think. We're using the Yamaha MG166CX mixer. Manual is here... http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/pa/english/mixers/mg206c_en_om_a0.pdf

In looking at the manual, each channel has a mic and line input. The mic is XLR and the line is 1/4". They've been giving me an XLR so I've been connecting to the "Mic" input on the channel with my XLR Output 1. With Output 1 being hotter anyway and then connecting to the mic input on the mixer, this must be the issue? So what would work better with my system is to use Output 2 and go straight into the "Line" input on that channel with a long stereo quarter inch cable? That would give me a better fit I think? The one think I was thinking though is cable length with a non-XLR cable. Would that be an issue?

The 1/4" line level input on that console is a balanced (tip ring sleeve) input, so that's good. Whoever is running sound would need an adapter cable to go from male 3-pin xlr to 1/4" trs. If you don't want to deal with that or the sound operator is uncooperative, you can still use a di with a pad or continue sending the signal as you have been.

OK, so I figured this out finally...I think. We're using the Yamaha MG166CX mixer. Manual is here... http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/pa/english/mixers/mg206c_en_om_a0.pdf

In looking at the manual, each channel has a mic and line input. The mic is XLR and the line is 1/4". They've been giving me an XLR so I've been connecting to the "Mic" input on the channel with my XLR Output 1. With Output 1 being hotter anyway and then connecting to the mic input on the mixer, this must be the issue? So what would work better with my system is to use Output 2 and go straight into the "Line" input on that channel with a long stereo quarter inch cable? That would give me a better fit I think? The one think I was thinking though is cable length with a non-XLR cable. Would that be an issue?

mtmartin71

Gold Supporting Member
The 1/4" line level input on that console is a balanced (tip ring sleeve) input, so that's good. Whoever is running sound would need an adapter cable to go from male 3-pin xlr to 1/4" trs. If you don't want to deal with that or the sound operator is uncooperative, you can still use a di with a pad or continue sending the signal as you have been.
OK...so I'm not an expert on live sound, but I think I get the concepts here. The ideal would have been a 1/4" balanced output from the AxeFX which would have allowed me to go 1/4" balanced to 1/4" balanced. The only balanced output is XLR though. My mixer has XLR but apparently that's mated to a hotter mic input and the mixer doesn't allow you to connect XLR at line level...so I've got to adapt one of the two or live with connecting to a hotter mic input and keeping my output lower. Is that all correct?

Last question (I think :))...which method above will give me the best transfer of sound to the house (my bassist is running the sound)?

If this were up to me I would just use output 1 (the 3-pin xlr) from the Axe like you are and get a short adapter cable to allow the mixer to accept the 1/4" line level signal. Buy a couple of those adapter cables in case one craps out.

OK...so I'm not an expert on live sound, but I think I get the concepts here. The ideal would have been a 1/4" balanced output from the AxeFX which would have allowed me to go 1/4" balanced to 1/4" balanced. The only balanced output is XLR though. My mixer has XLR but apparently that's mated to a hotter mic input and the mixer doesn't allow you to connect XLR at line level...so I've got to adapt one of the two or live with connecting to a hotter mic input and keeping my output lower. Is that all correct?

Last question (I think :))...which method above will give me the best transfer of sound to the house (my bassist is running the sound)?

javajunkie

use the xlr outs on the axe-fx to 1/4 balanced line in on the mixer.
You can either get a XLR to 1/4" balanced adapter or cable.

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member

these have a "merge" function so instead of one 1/4" jack being an unbalanced in and the other being a "thru" to go to your stage amp

the merge button allows you to plug in a stereo source into the box (2- 1/4" unbalanced from source) and it correctly sums it to mono XLR out to the PA for you.

so you can keep the xlr outs for your stage amp(ala atomic) in stereo like your ears want, and use output 2 on the axe to feed the Radial DI and the house.

you still lose stereo imaging to the house and all the stereo to mono weirdness that comes with that but, for guys that play in a mono house it gives you options.
They are killer DIs, got one since forever. But the Fractal powered cabs do have an XLR through.

Trending Topics