Direct Disc, 2" Tape, Altec, Plating, Vynil Cutting, etc etc

Lef T

Thanks for sharing.
I grew up working in the old school style of recording,just as 1979 is representing.
There is nothing I remember more pleasing to my ears than mixing with an old Neve console
and a Studer 2 inch and mastering to a 1/4 inch Revox halftrack.
Everything analogue from Urei compressors to a nice big,plate reverb.
Heaven,I tell ya.
I like his attitude and he's built a beautiful place to record.

Last edited:

loudboy

No interest in traditional recording............?:)

It's very cool, but it's really expensive and doesn't really fit in with modern recording workflows. Hyper-editing and instant recall seem to be much more important than any sonic improvement, to most acts.

Rumblefish

Silver Supporting Member
I owned a nice MCI 24 track machine the last few years and the sound is what I grew up with through the rock era. Alas, I'm much more into writing and overall production. I ran out of affordable engineers that wanted to learn how to use that machine or the older ones that knew from long experience.
It seems nobody gives a crap about sound quality anymore.
I threw in the towel and sold it last year.
Now I have an Antelope Orion converter and am trying to be satisfied with that compromise.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
It's very cool, but it's really expensive and doesn't really fit in with modern recording workflows. Hyper-editing and instant recall seem to be much more important than any sonic improvement, to most acts.

Yeah, the workflow afforded by DAW technology is viewed as essential by a lot of people. No-one forces you to work that way, even with a DAW--you can always impose most of the limitations of a reel-to-reel tape machine if you want, but it facilitates a way of working that's become very popular.

Top Bottom