1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Direct Drive and Timmy - any similarities?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cber1517, Jan 3, 2008.

1. cber1517

cber1517 Member

Hey guys,

I have the Direct Drive and I use it for low to medium gain in conjunction with the Tone Press. I am really pleased with both. I am curious if the Timmy would work well with these pedals as a clean/OD boost without adding to much gain. The reason I am interested in the Timmy is the transparency I keep hearing about and the bass and treble controls for tone shaping. Are the characters of these pedals different enough to have both? Thanks!

2. clothwiring

clothwiring Member

If you're after a transparent clean boost you could go after a Super Chili Picosso or RC Booster (I found, for my setup, that the RC and Timmy were similar).

3. minjason

minjason Member

The Timmy works great as a clean boost. I actually replaced my RC booster for a Timmy for this very purpose. The Tone Press, Direct Drive, and Timmy would be one impressive setup.

4. tmuka

tmuka Member

I use my timmy for a boost after my direct drive exactly as you mentioned. I like it, and it's nice to keep it transparent and bump up the volume and treble a bit for leads... i use my direct drive for a medium/full overdrive sound that i stack with my almost always on cactus crunch set to a touch sensative clean/light breakup. I don't think you could go wrong with the timmy as a boost, it is very great sounding and versatile with the EQ.

5. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

Yea timmy is different. It has less gain and has a clarity to it that sounds great before and after the DD. I had that combo for a bit, but I sold the DD for something more aggressive. I might pick up the LG DD though. Anyways, it was on my board for a very long time. I still have my timmy (well I upgraded to a Tim).

6. Rock72

Rock72 Member

I have the Direct Drive, the LTD and a Tim. I find the DD to be very different than the Tim, and I love stacking the LTD with the Tim... want a Tone Press badly though!

7. MoPho

MoPho Woke AND Swole Silver Supporting Member

The Direct Drive dimed after the Tone Press is tone heaven. I haven't played the Timmy, but understand it to be a low drive pedal that stacks well with others. By itself, it sounds like it would be a good match with the Direct Drive to progress up the drive train.

8. cber1517

cber1517 Member

:BEER
    Thanks for the helpful responses everyone!