Direct gig rig

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
Budda SD18II + Mesa Cab Clone vs G33X + EPSi (and a nice drive pedal). Thoughts? I have some nice full band gigs coming up, some I can use amp but some require IEMs and low stage Volume.

Will Chen

Platinum Supporting Member
Given the vast price differential between the 2 rigs, I doubt anyone's used both. That said...if I'm carrying an amp to a gig, I'm not running direct.

Gasp100

Gold Supporting Member
Given the vast price differential between the 2 rigs, I doubt anyone's used both. That said...if I'm carrying an amp to a gig, I'm not running direct.
Yes Will I think that is the way I'm going. I have enough opportunity to use the Budda live, I think the G3X plus EPSi on a small board (pt nano?) is the ticket.
Should I be concerned about the quarter inch unbalanced output on the EPSi D too noisy or not correct for running direct? The zoom itself has both XLR and 1/4 inch outs which proves how well fought out a device it really is.

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
I use the Budda line out into my Torpedo CAB with great results. If I need the stage volume lower I use an attenuator, but I need to get a few Torpedo LIVEs- maybe next year.

TimH

Silver Supporting Member
If you don't own the G3X or epsi yet...look at a Torpedo live. It's far and away better than anything the G3x will give you...

3dognate

Budda SD18II + Mesa Cab Clone vs G33X + EPSi (and a nice drive pedal). Thoughts? I have some nice full band gigs coming up, some I can use amp but some require IEMs and low stage Volume.
I've been using the Hughes & Kettner Grand Meister amp with a G3 in the Loop lately. (though I've just went to an HD500X in 4CM for effects only which I like a lot better...) The Redbox out on the Grand Meister is FANTASTIC sounding, it has a built in power soak.... 36w/18w/5w/1w/silent it can even be used without a speaker cabinet for the occasion that you want no stage volume... but with a cabinet it's plenty loud. All my tones have been with the amps 4 channels... I've no need for amp models with this thing...

LOVE this amp... MIDI recallable presets... built in Delay/and modulation effects....

(I've a friend with an SD18... it runs out of headroom quick... it's loud enough but there's little "Clean" on tap. I've heard your clips and posts from the past... I would think that you need a higher wattage amp for headroom alone if you plan to make effective use of having stage volume.)

Last edited:

superdave2001

Gold Supporting Member
+1. Love it combine with art zdual direct box (passive).
Agreed, but would recommend a Radial JDX direct box. Things are bullet-proof and the best sounding direct boxes I have ever heard. I use the Duplex so that I can have 1 channel for electric and 1 for acoustic. Killer.

Trending Topics