Direct In guitar?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by nrvana8775, Mar 1, 2012.

1. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

I'm using ableton, drum machine, synth, guitar, etc. and don't really have the space/load time to use an amp.

I have tried going DI, but it sounds bad. Perhaps it's due to the passive radial, so I might need an active?

Anyway. What's my best option for going DI? I've read that the ethos works well for this. Is there any way to use my fender head without a cab? Maybe a dummy load or something.

2. nrvana8775

nrvana8775 Member

3. danel59

danel59 Member

Ethos works great, this is what I use and really like, but also check out the Character pedals from Tech 21.

For using your amp, yes you would need a load box but also something that gives you speaker emulation. Palmer makes a few all in one options. For load boxes check out THD Hot Plates, Weber Mass. Dr Z has one (forget the name right now) And then instead of your DI that you are using get something like a H&K Red Box or Palmer PDI or Behringer Ultra G and there are many others

Also perhaps look at getting a USB Audio interface and try some amp software
    Suggestions for that would be S-Gear by Scuffham amp. Or one of the Line 6 USB interfaces that comes with Pod Farm

Then of course the Hardware modelers/profilers such as Pod HD series, Boss GT series, Eleven Rack and then for the ultimate check out either the AxeFx series or the Kemper profiling are your most realistic

4. randombastage

randombastage Member

I would be surprised if a good direct box with dummy speaker load could sound better than the Ethos (I have one) or the Character pedals (I don't have one but have heard a number of great direct recordings).
    Considering the extra weight and time of loading in and out a head and the direct box compared with just dealing with a pedal it just doesn't seem worth it.

A PodHD bean would probably be really good too if you need lots of different presets and effects for more variety of guitar voices.

5. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I would look at something like the Surprise Sound Labs Rock Block with a speaker sim or one of the old H&K units like the Cream Machine (which was the platform for the Rock Block) or the Crunch/Blues Master. The tubes and design gives it a pretty life-like amp feel and tone, but the thing is whether or not it sounds like the amp you want to be using. The Crunch/Blues is probably closer to a Fender I suspect.

I also know a lot of people like Tech 21, but no tubes in there.