• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

direct mounted pickups - any point in shielding the pickup cavity?

turbodogfish

title says it - is there any reason to bother shielding the pickup cavity if there's no pickguard to form a "lid" on the cage? should i save myself the trouble on a new build i'm doing?

Last edited:

dspellman

title says it - is there any reason to bother shielding the pickup cavity if there's no pickguard to form a "lid" on the cage? should i save myself the trouble on a new build i'm doing?
The answer is yes -- shield the pickup cavity (whether with copper tape or with conductive shielding paint is up to you) and the control cavities. I don't think I've got a guitar that isn't shielded at this point.

LReese

Just my opinion

It depends on the type of pickup - if its a covered humbucker or shielded single coil with a shielded cable to the controls, then I'd say no or little benefit as its already shielded. Otherwise it might be of benefit (you must run a connection from the shield to a ground point). I personally would not shield just for the sake of shielding.

EADGBE

Most of the noise comes from the top of the pickup. So I never shield the pickup cavity.

turbodogfish

thanks for the thoughts on this... i think i'm going to leave the pickup cavity unshielded. the whole idea of the faraday cage is that it's fully enclosed, right? a "cage" isn't much of a cage if there's no top (e.g., pickguard) to close it.

Mike9

Silver Supporting Member
thanks for the thoughts on this... i think i'm going to leave the pickup cavity unshielded. the whole idea of the faraday cage is that it's fully enclosed, right? a "cage" isn't much of a cage if there's no top (e.g., pickguard) to close it.
Exactly - without full coverage there is little point. Control cavities and covers are another thing I always shield those.

Trending Topics