1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Direct recording: POD/VOX/Pluginz ?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by dankayaker, Jan 17, 2006.

1. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

I've come to the realization that I need something to record direct to my MBox (Protools) . . . without having to use an amp.

Which sounds most amplike ? The Podxt/live, the Vox thingy or purhaps a set of plugins ? I'm used to playing through a very nice amp with great OD boxes so I don't expect the same level of feel and tone, but what will get me closest. Don't really need the super-high gain . . but if it does that well that's a plus. I know this sounds crazy but one of the best solo's I've ever recorded was done on a Flextone III with a Landgraff PedalMan pro in front of it (I was waiting for my Bruno to arrive) so if one of the boxes I mentioned takes pedals that's a huge plus.

thanks

2. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I currently use the Boss GT-8 ( have owned Line 6 POD, and amplifiers ). I use it as my "lazy" recording, gigging and practice tool. IMO the GT-8 is more flexible, powerfull and configurable than the Line6 or Vox units. Boss does not supply a software editor. Some people I know prefer the sound of the Vox or Line6 amp models, but this is all very subjective. My advice is:

- Try them out. Find the one that feels best and make work for you.
    - Prepare to spend a lot of time tweaking and dialing in your sound. I have heard great tones from all the units, even models several years old.
    - Make sure you have a good monitoring system. I always bring my own powered JBL EON speakers (at least for my own monitor) when I play out with it. Plugging it into a bad PA or power amp will make it sound unpleasant.

Being used to nice tube amps, be prepared to be underwhelmed after the initial honeymoon wears off. With some work, you can get musical tones that sound good in a mix. Once dialed in, many great sounds can be recalled with a button press that are optimized for different guitars, signal chains or genres. This in itself can be fun and inspiring, but nothing like having a tube amp cranked in a nice sounding room.

Shawn.

3. MBalmer

MBalmer Member

You can try Guitar port that is cheap and sounds good.

4. clayville

clayville Member

I have small kids at home and do most of my recording late at night, direct. I've gotten OK results from a PODxt (incredibly versatile if you take the time to tweak and all the fx are a blast), but for blues and blues/rock sorts of tones my go to tone generator of choice is now the Damage Control Womanizer. Much warmer and natural sounding (two 12AX7's inside) plus some built in eq and an opto-compressor. Only drawback, besides price, is that you can't save your settings. If you want more gain they have a model called the Demonizer...
    The sound samples on their site don't do justice for either model IMHO, but try to find the demo video.

5. ari

ari Member

I like my SansAmp Classic. Only thing I miss is a Vox sim.

ari

6. Igneous

Igneous Member

I use the pod for recording direct. It sounds the best out of all the others ive listened too. Putting a boost pedal before it works well too. Its funny, the pod sux live but does some really convincing recorded tones.

7. Senor Blues

Senor Blues Member

Damage Control Womanizer, or the Line out from a Univalve into NI Guitar Rig is pretty damned good here. GR has some good effects too, the amps suck, but the cab sims and effects are well worth the $$.

I just tried a plug-in amp called Boogex, which is free and damned good in itself. The Simuanalog JCM 900 is also good.

LINK to another forum with a Comprehensive list of VST Amps, lots are free and some are REALLY good.

8. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

Univalve to a cab sim (palmer, behringer)

Tech 21 product (am. woman, comptortion, etc.)

Digitech DF-7 which has OD + cab sim functions

Roland GP-100 (if you can find one)

9. DAB

DAB Member

Here is a link to a song I did using a PODxt Pro into a Mackie preamp into Pro Tools. The clean guitar and the solo distorted guitar are me. The rest is a backing track. I have many others if you want to hear them just click on my band page below and go to the Music page. Every guitar there except for acoustic was done with a strat and the PODxt Pro.

http://www.strangebruband.com/Media/SRV.mp3

Dave

10. amper

amper Member

I second the attenuator/cab sim. with your choice of real amp, if no volume is important. I find the Groove Tubes SEII to be an excellent unit.

Here's another idea, which is what I'm doing right now with my band. All guitar and bass tracks are being simultaneously recorded through a Countryman DI as well as either DI off the preamp (for the bass), or mics on the cabs (guitars). I also posess a ReAmp. Should any of the mics fail to perform the appointed task, the ReAmp will allow me to take the raw instrument signal and pump it back out through another amp at a more opportune time.

I will be reamp-ing the bass signal through my rig at some point after all the tracks are cut, simply because we're recording at a remote location from the mixing studio, and I don't feel like hauling the rig (plus the room is pretty small, and it's nice having the extra room to move around).

Then again, you only have two inputs with the MBox, right? I'm using Logic on a dual processor G5 with an M-Audio Delta 1010 fronted by an M-Audio Octane, so I have at least eight simultaneous inputs and outputs to play with.

11. workinstiff

workinstiff Member

I gotta second the THD Univalve. I run the line out into my DAW for clean sounds using amplitude for speaker sim.The line out of the THD makes just about any plug-in sound good.

12. Marcello

Marcello Member

I'm really digging Guitar rig2, i think it's great for some tones, try it out ! I may post some samples.