Direct to PA question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dshobe, Feb 5, 2015.

1. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

I'm going to start playing a weekly gig soon. I'm really excited about it. The problem is that the gig is going to be straight to the PA. I have no experience with this situation. I'm not looking forward to what I assume will be lifeless tone.

I have several options, one of which is using my Effectrode Blackbird as the last in line running to the PA, however I'm worried that running delays and reverb into the Blackbird will muddy the tone up.

The other option I have is to use the line out on my Fender Concert II. I think this will work, but am not sure. Does anyone have experience using the line out from an amp to run to FOH?

2. JJCrowe

JJCrowe Member

you can get good results with any number of tech21 pedals, either the blonde or para DI or flyrig, they all will give you the clean fender tube amp vibe. put them at the end or near the end of the chain. it may be worth trying the line out on your amp, but does that defeat the speaker when you use it?

3. dshobe

I don't know, I guess I should go plug a cable into it, lol. I would think it would. I'm trying to get by for a bit without spending any money. I am planning on a Two Notes Torpedo CAB sometime this spring.

4. JJCrowe

JJCrowe Member

actually, that efectrode blackbird looks great, you should try that too. if you want the verb after the blackbird, can't you run the line out of the blackbird into the verb and then go to the board?

5. dshobe

I guess I could, I thought that the Blackbird should be last in line. It is great btw, I love it!

6. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I had to run through the PA a few times, it made me not want to play guitar. I hope your experience is better. Blues Jrs are perfect for small gigs.

7. dshobe

Ha, me too BadAssBill. I have an Egnater Rebel 20 head with a 2x12 cab I'm thinking of trying. I asked the sound guy about what size (wattage) amp I should bring. He said that they've never had the guitar run through an amp, but rather just straight to the board. I told him that I was a GUITAR player and tone is important.
    He seemed amiable, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes. I want to have a plan B if they can't handle an amp on stage.

8. Strat

Strat Member

I've been using the tech 21 Fly Rig into powered Pa speakers with very decent results - try it - return if not satisfied

9. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

Had to do it once when an amp fritzed out on me. Used a distortion pedal for dirt, straight into the board, and turned the treble down on the mixer channel my guitar was in. Left the compressor on for all songs (through the amp I only used it for bottleneck.) That helped it sound more "ampy".

I thought it sounded bad in the monitors but the bass player's brother is a guitarist, and he said it sounded fantastic through the FOH mix

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I often carry an original Tech21 Sansamp as a plan B. One outdoor gig my Princeton Reverb II went down (someone had broken the tip off of a 1/4" cable inside it, and it finally found it's way to between the high tension leads and welded itself to the chassis). Plugged into the Tech21 (its an analog amp simulator) and was quite happy with my tone, in fact a little miffed that someone told me I sounded better than I had the day before (thru the amp). Anyway, it can be done and still sound good. There's no reason to put your amp simulator last, it'll process the sound the same, so delay and/or reverb after the Blackbird will be fine, then into the board if it's a short run or into a direct box if it's a long way to the mixer. Done!

11. dshobe

I had the FlyRig recommended to me earlier today at a shop. I have a Tech21 Rotochoir with the speaker sim. I think I will try the Blackbird before I buy anything. The line out on the Concert II does not defeat the internal speaker.

Thanks for the info drbob, I will be running into an L.R. Baggs DI.

12. wallinbb

wallinbb Member

Try the Roland micro cube. You'll be amazed at the results.

13. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

Your tube amp into a Two Notes Torpedo Live line out to a direct box to the FOH, done! I've tried so many FOH options it makes my head spin. This is by far the BEST option I've found for keeping my tone and feel intact. Also the Ownhammer IR's for the Torpedo Live are nothing short of amazing sounding!

14. AXEnGEAR4J

AXEnGEAR4J Supporting Member

I would sure want to do some good sound checks if you're unfamiliar with the venue and yes a Torpedo Live or I heard good things about the Roland micro cube.

15. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

The blackbird doesn't have cabinet emulation built in. Be prepared to need to adjust your EQ a bit from normal to tame those highs. Some DI's have a cabinet emulation feature. That could be a big help in this situation.

16. dshobe

I have a Logidy epsi. I have it loaded with reverbs right now, but I have an Ownhammer IR pack the previous owner included with it. The reverbs on the epsi sound so great I didn't even think about using it for cab emulation.

17. Dad love mom

Dad love mom Supporting Member

Just do what Johnny A. does. Use a Mesa Cab Clone and call it a day.

18. EastCoastRocker

EastCoastRocker Supporting Member

LOL! Been there, done that.

I don't know the parameters of your gig or what the environment that you are playing in is like, but I've done lounge gigs direct to PA through an ADA MP1. Not my 1st choice but not bad either. The downside of the MP1's is that they can be noisy.

If you want to preserve your tone, then as mentioned, a reactive load box, preferably with a speaker sim, would probably be your best bet.

If you are going to do a lot of gigging like that, An axeFX2 can be a wonderful thing.

Are you using ears or a wedge? Just curious.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  19. dshobe

The gig is a small church. They use wedges. The idea of an AxeFX or Kemper is great and I may end up going that route, who knows? But for the time being I'm going to stick with what I have to work with. From the suggestions so far I think I'm gonna set it up like this:

Diamond Compressor, TTE, Timmy, Blackbird, Diamond Tremolo, Timeline, epsi running Ownhammer IRs.

I'll have to see how it sounds. I'm assuming that the cab sims should be last in line before the DI box, is that correct?

20. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

About 8 or 9 years ago, I started using a Zoom MFX pedal all the time. Whether I'm using my favorite amp, a supplied back-line (Twin Reverb, Jazz Chorus), Direct In, outdoor show, studio work or small church. It allows me to get my sound, at almost any volume. I'm currently the Music Director, at a small church, front a rockabilly band, do studio work and lead guitarist. The only thing it gives up, is some of the overdrive quality. I try to use an appropriate sized amp, for that, instead of the pedal. In church, I can gets a very big sound, at low volume.