Direct to Power amp

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Plague Dog, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

okay so say I want to use just a power amp. I happen to have a 1000 watt Behringer. Eurolive I believe, it's super light, the whole thing doesn't weigh 5 pounds, but I digress.
    Would I be better running a modeler straight into the amp, or should I run into the PA and send my signal back on a monitor mix (my board has 6 sends so I have spares) or just get myself a small 4 channel mixer where I have more access to set my monitor volume and such on the fly?
    I know running through the PA and a monitor send will give me the same mix that is going out front and offers me a little more processing, like EQ and compression, and using a small mixer adds another layer of EQ and the advantage of a readily available master volume. or should I just say F'it and go straight from the modeler, to the power amp, to my speaker?

2. CheeseGrater

CheeseGrater Member

well, you still have to get to the PA, so would you have the soundguy mic your monitor or go direct from the modeler to PA AND to your mixer/poweramp/monitor setup. I've done both successfully, although my monitor is actually guitar cabs.

I like having control of my sound on stage, so that's what i'd recommend - having a monitor/cab of some kind on stage that you control. I know the trend is less stage volume and all that, but that takes all the fun away for me. plus i like knowing that if i can't be miced or go direct for some reason, i've still got enough volume to play a gig. I have a direct box in the back of my rack so i can go direct any time in addition to my rig on stage. Some nights i mic it, some nights i go direct to PA but still have my guitar cabs pumping out my tone.

...and i'm off to the gig right now....mic'd up tonight, mainly because i rebiased my power amp and want to really put it to use.

3. Plague Dog

Plague Dog Member

I thought of that, but I'm pretty sure the power amp has a thruput signal, but it makes more sense to run to the PA, aux out to the power amp and to the speaker cabs. I normally run sound from stage with my iPad... I wish we could afford a soundman, running sound from stage sucks