Directional Cabling

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by halliganjoel, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Mr Analog

Mr Analog Member

I see. Marketing focus groups are a very different kind of exercise and I don't believe those conclusions apply to repeated blind testing in a controlled environment. We can at least say there's no evidence to support the parallels you're trying to draw.

2. Clark GriswoId

Clark GriswoId Supporting Member

3. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

4. Glitch Magnet

Glitch Magnet Supporting Member

I used to believe in Santa Claus, the Tooth Fairy, a sentient god, and the claims of esoteric audio cable marketers. People I trusted and respected said they were real. My environment was full of confirmational stimuli. I enjoyed great comfort believing these things.

As I grew intellectually, logical flaws and opposing views presented. I began to ask critical questions and sought proof. I observed that the only evidence presented was either anecdotal or supernaturally based. My preference for their existence didn't hold up to my actual experience. Faith gave way to critical thought. Logic reshaped my values. As much as I wanted them to exist, allowing that they may not opened my mind to the reality, and I discovered truth and honesty actually produce a more enriched and functional existence than pure faith and willful ignorance.

I no longer believe in these things, or that they're even possible. I remain open to any verifiable evidence that I'm wrong. I don't trust people who suggest I'm wrong without providing proof, and I question everything I'm told.

Based on what i know at this point in time, I believe I'm more likely to meet the real Santa than to hear or "feel" the effects of cable directionality.

For the record, I believe Eric Johnson was a real person who walked this earth and played a mean guitar, but some of his teachings lack credibility.

IAO, TEPR, huw and 2 others like this.
  5. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

I don't know if it's already been brought up (couldn't be bothered to trawl through the last 9 or so pages), but personally, I think the Evidence guy himself said it best. He wires his own cables up in the "correct" direction, but also said that if someone were to sneak in a reverse them overnight, he probably wouldn't notice it. People do what makes them happy, and whatever floats their boat is ok with me.

I have to admit that when I solder up longer cables where there's something that directs the direction of use - for instance a guitar cable with a special plug (Neutrik Silent, and/or right angle) for the guitar end - I've noticed I tend to want the writing on the cable match the implied signal flow. It has nothing at all to do with the sound, though - it's just a neatness thing. :D

Mr. Bertha likes this.
  6. uburoibob

uburoibob Yanuziello Guitar Enthusiast Supporting Member

Nor is there any to refute them. And I am not trying to draw them - I DO draw them. From logic and experience.

7. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

Directional cable is legitimate (when the wire shield is lifted on one end of a 3 conductor cable for better shielding), but not directional wire.

I talked to one cable maker years ago at the height of the craze who makes directional cable who said when I asked he could pick the correct direction out 50% of the time in a double blind test, amazing. I said you realize that = chance? He said but he could show me what to listen for and I could probably pick it out more often, so how does one determine direction ? I learned you make the first cable from the spool and listen, notate the direction, but you are wrong 50% of the time ? wait...... :confused:

Unless the cable is terminated differently at one end, we are talking about AC here, i'm not sure people get that... there is no direction. IF a cable has a direction then it works like a rectifier and will distort AC one way vs the other so that cable will not perform very well one direction over the other? Color me very skeptical until someone who makes these claims can pick out the correct direction 8 times out of 10 in a double blind test. There is nothing to be gained by anyone trying to disprove the claims, so the onus would fall on the person making the claim/marketing to sell the product. This discussion has been going on for many years in the audiophile world and the consensus is not good for those claiming that there is a direction. What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    4b454e, TEPR, CarlGuitarist and 9 others like this.
  8. Baba Louie

Baba Louie Member

Well, luck wasn't really I had in mind. You can't really change your luck. I mean, you can kind of put yourself in a situation where luck is more likely to happen, and then you can make the best of it, and capitalize on it if it comes, but, it wasn't luck that he could have changed.
    Something else.
    Something simple.

9. rePlay

rePlay Member

These discussions about testing method are pretty humorous to me.

If I say red and blue are different colors and I test others ability to detect the differences in color it makes no difference if the test subject are aware of being test subjects. Most will recognize two different colors. They will not have to clench their derrieres till steam exits their ears to accomplish the task.

If the directionality of a cable ultimately affects the sound generated by the driver we will hear it. If we can not hear it there are only two choices, 1) It didn't happen. 2) It did happen but the results is beyond human perception AKA it didn't happen in our human reality.

I can make a remarkable change to my sound for pennies by changing picks.

10. rePlay

rePlay Member

You are free to say almost anything you wish but that does not make it so.
    Ground fault breakers for example.

11. Radar

Radar Member

Anyone try the new JHS Boss pedal yet?

Abram4235 and peter_heijnen like this.
  12. rsm

rsm Member

you'll know if you use the cable in the wrong direction, because your playing will be in reverse o_O

:p

Radar likes this.
  13. 9 Volt Taste Test

9 Volt Taste Test Member

Well, how else are you supposed to turn back the amp's odometer, duh?

HERSCHEL, Radar and rsm like this.
  14. 9 Volt Taste Test

9 Volt Taste Test Member

15. rePlay

rePlay Member

16. 9 Volt Taste Test

9 Volt Taste Test Member

You know, it wouldn't be cool to get this thread locked by derailing it permanently, but I could use a LITTLE break.

TEPR and rePlay like this.
  17. Shiny_Beast

Shiny_Beast Supporting Member

What the **** are you talking about? You don't believe typical circuits have different impedances? Or are you questioning that cable is pulled?

Note I have repeated said I'm not trying to make a case for directional cable, nor have I done so. I'm just discussing the topic. I see nothing that I've said that is trying to make something "so", Sounds like you haven't read my posts and are just issuing stock responses.

rePlay likes this.
  18. rePlay

rePlay Member

symmetry :D

Shiny_Beast likes this.
  19. 9 Volt Taste Test

9 Volt Taste Test Member

Uh-oh.

Conflict or Kinks, hands up for Kinks?

TEPR and rePlay like this.
  20. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

People are still falling for this BS? One born every minute.

rePlay and Radar like this.