Dirsct Input Box

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Bloozman, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

We are playing an outdoor gig, and I want to run the Bass Guitar from a line out on his amp directly into the PA system. Will I need one of those Direct Boxes, or can I run the cable from the line out feature on his amp right into the PA Head without one?..The PA Head will be right onstage with the band so the cord will be maybe 15" long. Thanks in advance, Bloozman

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

15"? that's really short!
    (spinal tap gags aside, a 15' cable into the pa from an active line out will work just fine.)

3. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

yeah...15'...maybe 20' at max is all its gonna be. I put our PA head right in the center of the stage.

4. in a little row

in a little row Member

i think a line to a DI box, the balanced XLR to the PA would be best

j

5. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

My rule of thumb for live playing is this: ALWAYS use a DI box for two reasons: 1. you're guaranteed to have the correct impedance to run whatever length of cable is necessary to interface with the mixing console and 2. if the XLR line out on your bass amp is not transformer balanced, it can be damaged by phantom power (a power source generated by mixing consoles to power condenser type microphones and some active direct boxes). If you're using a lower end mixing console, phantom power is not switchable per channel, but in groups or even across all the mixer channels. Running a DI (especially an active DI for live work) will eliminate the risk.

A quality DI like Countryman 185 or anything by Radial Engineering should last a lifetime and sound great.