Dirt Box for blackface Fender

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 56_Special, Jul 8, 2008.

1. 56_Special

56_Special Member

What dirt box do you feel matches your blackface Fender best?

2. hurleysurf

hurleysurf Member

I'm loving my Zendrive and KOT combo right now with mine. I'd like to add a Honey Bee at some point as well. The KOT is really cool because you can do the clean overdrive thing with low compression and really let the amp shine or turn it to distortion mode and get a little Marshall thing happening. The Zen really changes the amp into something different so if you are looking for transparent I wouldn't go for that one.

EDIT: But there's certainly nothing wrong with a regular old TS808 either!! The two were made for each other.

3. minjason

minjason Member

+1 on the KOT. I started a similar thread a while back and bought one based off the responses I received. With BF-style amps, the KOT is tough to beat for low-gain applications. I also liked using it on the distortion mode with the gain knob completely dimed...you get a very harmonically rich overdrive that does not get muddy at all and maintains chord clarity extremely well. If you don't want to wait 2 years or shell out the $400+ these are going for used, I would highly recommend any of Dave Barber's pedals. I loved my Barber LTD v.2 with my BF Bassman...just added a touch of mids and an overall warmth to my mid-scooped blackface...I've also heard great things about the Menatone Red Snapper through blackface Fenders. If you're looking for a more traditional TS-type pedal (which also works very well with mid-scooped BF Fenders) I would highly recommend the Tone Freak Abunai 2...very versatile pedal that worked wonders with my bassman.

And of course, there's the Klon...

4. AL30

AL30 Member

Yep. I keep coming back to the TS with my Fenders.

AL

5. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Im not a fan of TS pedals at all but a Fender guitar wiht a TS into a BF Fender is a tone thats damn hard to beat...

For me my KoTv4 is pretty amazing into my Twin Reverb, I actually also like my Duncan Twin Tube Classic and then there is my old stand by...a Pro Co Rat.

In fact before I went gear crazy a few years ago I did all my gigging with a Twin Reverb and a Rat!

6. DSmith

DSmith Member

All the MI Audio stuff

7. pbone

pbone Member

I used to have a blackface fender, and also tried out about a dozen dirt boxes. The one I liked the most was the Blackstone. Very nice, very saturated gain, and you can adjust it to no end. You'll have to spend about an hour on this pedal to make it sound just right though, so be careful of that. Overall, though, it performed better than several dirt boxes, such as the OCD and Screwdriver.

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Tonebone Hot British for high gain. Will make your amp sound even more "Valve-y"

9. jgyn

jgyn Member

I use the HAO Rumble Mod.

10. citiesLA

citiesLA Member

I play a strat and I've got a Pro Analog dual drive which sounds great with my 67 super reverb. Last night though I broke out my Keeley modded blues driver and got really stoked on the sound. I'm on a big early 90's rock kick right now so the distortion in that thing just got me going. I hadn't used it with that amp in ages.

11. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

it really depends on the guitar.

I like a TS style with single coils but not as much with humbuckers.

12. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

+1. I'm also sometimes goosing it with a EH LPB-1 (especially with the low-output Tele), and/or using it to drive the dirty side of a PE Germ. Never been happier with my sound!

13. giggedy

giggedy Member

KOT > Tim is absolutely killer.

14. wleeds

wleeds Member

+1 fits like a good shoe.

15. vinceman

vinceman Member

:agree Tube Zone and Blues pro works well in my '65 Bandmaster

I also love my OCD (v2), but exclusively in LP mode.