Dirt Boxes with a 12AX7

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brianf, Jan 25, 2008.

1. brianf

brianf Member

What voltages run through the 12AX7 in this type of distortion box.

I have both a Rocktron Silver Dragon and a Radial Plexitube.

Rocktron is, ahhhh OK at certain settings and the Plexitube can get many a good tone with just a little tweaking.

I thought I would experiment and change the tube in the Rocktron. Well that nice warm orange glow is just an LED light reflecting off some silver foil. This effect does not even run enough voltage to get the tube even glowing a little. Not sure on the Plexitube as I have not opened it.

So is the tube really doing anything????

brianf

2. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

Have you ever left it run for a while before using it?
    I leave my budda zenmans and phatmans run for 1 hour before I play, you can see those 12AX7's cookin off from 10 feet..

3. waveman

waveman Member

Forget it with the Rocktron...sorry it is just not that good of a pedal. Read some of the user reviews at Harmony Central where other people have tried. I had one for about a couple of days, and quickly sold it.

With the radial stuff, you will definitely see some differences if you hop from an EHX to a Sovtek to a JJ, etc.

Alot of these pedals run a small amount of voltage in a gain starved type of circuit. I don't even think the rocktron does that...I think it just used the tube to thicken things up.

4. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Do the Radial's have tubes? My friend had the British one and it was a fizzy mess.

Want a great sounding tube pedal.....check out "The Button". Runs at 254 volts (DC).

http://www.tubedepot.com/thebutton.html

There's a couple of clips at the bottom.

[​IMG]

5. brianf

brianf Member

THE BUTTON does sound very nice.

brianf

6. brianf

brianf Member

Oh, I agree, as mine does not get that much use at all. One of those spurr of the moment purchases.

brianf

7. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

the mesa boogie v-1 bottle rocket is the most interesting one to me. Supposed to do the mark 1 thing really well.

8. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

I read a thread here last year about The Button that mentioned that changing the tube out voided the warranty...is that the case?