Dirt cheap P Bass pickups????

standard24

I bought a Squier P Bass at a pawn shop, to remove the aftermarket Seymour Duncan Bass-lines pickup from. I plan to replace the pickups and sell the bass on CL.

Are the cheap Chinese pickups about as good as the Affinity pickups that come stock with the bass?

I don't want to put any more money in this bass than necessary, to make it as functional as it came from the factory.

Has anyone used these cheap pickups, and would they be a be a decent fit/function for an entry-level bass?

soulohio

the cheap Chinese pickups in an SX guitar are very good...
be careful
if you buy an Agile or SX bass and then don\t wanna sell it...

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
Squier Affinity ARE cheap Chinese pickups (or Indonesian). Personally, I think it's very hard to make a P-Bass pickup that doesn't sound good. Just find anything that fits and put it in. You're dumping the bass anyway, so why would you care?

standard24

Squier Affinity ARE cheap Chinese pickups (or Indonesian). Personally, I think it's very hard to make a P-Bass pickup that doesn't sound good. Just find anything that fits and put it in. You're dumping the bass anyway, so why would you care?
Thanks! Coming from a luthier, I couldn't ask for better advise!

standard24

I'm trying to get by as cheap as possible. If I spend $40, and sell the bass for $75, I've spent a major portion of what I can get for the bass. I can get a cheap pickup for $6.00.

Mighty Melvin

Actually cheap Squier pickups are a step up from cheap cheap pickups. Something about the dual magnets. Cheap Cheap pickups have a single magnet. But I would go to a GFS standard set just because a Precision is a Precision and ought to have a real Precision type pickup. It's indistinguishable from a Fender pickup, as close as the different varieties of Fender are from one another, and it's cheap.

standard24

Actually cheap Squier pickups are a step up from cheap cheap pickups. Something about the dual magnets. Cheap Cheap pickups have a single magnet. But I would go to a GFS standard set just because a Precision is a Precision and ought to have a real Precision type pickup. It's indistinguishable from a Fender pickup, as close as the different varieties of Fender are from one another, and it's cheap.
GFS charges $30 plus shipping, ($8.05)... To put on a bass I'm going to dump for $75.00 ?????

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
The GFS P-bass are a fine choice. Pretty much on par with the Artec Chinese pickups which perform just fine- comparable with what you would get in a standard Squier P.

Mighty Melvin

By which I mean, if you nab a Squier set from ebay, you're probably going to pay a bottom price for a pickup that is probably better than most of the other bottom pickups. If you care at all about getting something that is not rubbish, and you probably do since you asked, that might be the ticket.

Trending Topics