Dirt pedal suggestions? (Pedalboard pic inside)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by WholeLottaGlove, Feb 28, 2015.

1. WholeLottaGlove

WholeLottaGlove Supporting Member

Hey all :)
    Well, tax refund time is here, so I'll have a little cash to pick up a new pedal. I've been debating which one, but I can't decide.

I'm looking for a good hot rodded Marshall-esque distortion pedal to use mainly with my 65RI Twin. I have a Barber Direct Drive Compact that I thought would get me into that territory, but it doesn't work well with the Twin. The DD is great as an OD with the Twin, and for goosing the front end of my Peavey Classic 50 410 dirt channel. Its definitely a keeper. I just need something that'll turn my Twin into a Marshall (I know it's not possible, but in the ballpark would be great :))

I'm definitely a fan of EVH and Slash tones, but wouldn't mind something a bit more modern. I'm a fan of 80's and 90's rock/metal alike.

Anyways, here's a shot of my board. I need a single sized pedal since I'm not working with that much room. I've been eyeing the JHS Angry Charlie and Suhr Riot, but hoping you guys might have some other suggestions. Thanks in advance!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. pedalparty

pedalparty Member

I hear the Riot is good and the angry charlie has a lot of users. The Catalinbread Dirtl Litte Secret is my favorite. The Zvex Box of Rock is sounds good with fenders to me as well.

3. Dogman

Dogman Member

I´m currently a big fan of the MXR Super Badass Distortion - does´t have a lot of super-highend sizzle (as opposed to the Riot Reloaded or a Bogner Red, both of which I also had but didn´t wow me as much as I hoped they would) but it´s not a dark pedal either.
    The three band tone control made it usable with basically any amp I threw it on until now, including a Fender Tweed of sorts, so I would guess it works with a Twin too.
    Very nice, fat mids that work perfect live and the "feel" factor is very good to me - unlike some pedals that sound good but somehow feel anemic under your fingertips when you run through them.
    It has a wide range of usable gain and can get super saturated if you desire to go there - I love high gain so it that´s crucial for me. The bottom end stays reasonably tight and articulate at higher gain but if you want to further tighten it up you can simply throw a Tubescreamer in front like you would on an amp. I do that from time to time and it words perfectly.

4. Hayden

Hayden Member

Another vote for both the Riot and the Super Badass. I've had the MXR on my board for quite a while and I've played through a Riot at a gig. Both are great dirt boxes

5. Outshined

Outshined Member

I'll definitely second the super badass. It rocks big time, although I liked the joyo us dream which is a riot ripoff. Mxr succeeded ridiculously well with this one.

6. jordane93

jordane93 Member

How about a Wampler Sovereign?

7. WholeLottaGlove

WholeLottaGlove Supporting Member

I've always been a bit skeptical of digital pedals, but I'll check it out.

I'm interested in the Wampler, as well as the Badass. Both look very cool and right up my alley.

8. evildik

evildik Member

For what you described, the Wampler Plextortion. Done.