1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Dirt Pedals Advice (Skreddy Screwdriver)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sensates, May 24, 2011.

1. Sensates

Sensates Member

Hi guys need some help here. I like having a variety of dirt pedals on board, and having recently got myself a Screw Driver (on the way), I found myself running out of board space. I suspect the SD might overlap and maybe replace some others pedals, and also I need to know where in the effect chain will benefit the SD (before or after a TS?), as I like to run them stacked sometimes. All advices are appreciated!

Here's the list of OD/Fuzz I have on board, according to signal chain:

• EQD Dream Crusher (high gain fuzz/dist fuzzface: might be replaced)
    • MJM Phantom OD (main OD: wondered if it's redundant with SD?)
    • Xotic AC Comp (Dont use this much but i really like that fat sustaining leads)
    • Goosoniqueworks Seventheaven (main dist/preamp: it stays)
    • EQD Hoof (for those Gilmorish moments)
    Cheers! :D

2. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

Not sure what kind of advice you're looking for. :dunno

The SD and Phantom sound pretty different. The SD's fuzzier and can get brighter; the Phantom's a TS through and through. If you were to run them together, I'd put the SD before the Phantom, but YMMV of course.

3. Sensates

Sensates Member

Thanks! Basically I have too much dirt for my own good and need to know if any of those pedals are redundant so that i can axe some of them off :D

I have been using the Phantom as my main light OD but seeing the SD are doing the same thing I just wonder if I'm better off with either one of them.

4. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

I think you could replace the Phantom with the SD for that application, but it'll definitely be a different sound. You should start a thread comparing the two in that slot when you've tried 'em out. :aok

5. Jet Age Eric

Jet Age Eric Member

I was thinking this, too. -E

6. guitar_kid

guitar_kid Member

I would say the dream crusher would be the first to go if any and possibly the AC Comp. The SD can cover ALOT of ground with tweaking so it depends on how readily available you want all these tones.

7. Once Far Off

Once Far Off Member

I'd stick with the Screw Driver.

8. Sensates

Sensates Member

Thanks guys I have the Screw Driver already (my first Skreddy!!) and after some tweaking I really like it.
    Good advice. I have decided to sell the ac comp and keep the dreamcrusher off board for a while (it's a really fun pedal).

After I did some comparisons, what you said is very true. The SD is definitely unique, I like that it has an edgier tone to the Phantom, which I dig. Stacked it has this explosive fuzzy lead tone that is really nice. It definitely reminds me of the earlier Floyd stuff. I was looking at the Throbak ODB for that but it seems that the void is filled.

Again, thanks for the help! :aok

9. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member