Dirt pedals for a Marshall 1974x

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by abnerfm, Feb 14, 2020.

1. abnerfm

abnerfm Member

Well, not really a Marshall 1974x, it's an 18 Watt Ceriatone TMB. Thanks in advance.

2. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

Paul c Timmy
    Vintage Spec Mythical Overdrive
    Xotic RC booster
    A ts-808 works surprisingly well

abnerfm and riffy like this.
  3. strawberries

strawberries Member

4. smithguitars

smithguitars Supporting Member

Broadcast, King of Tone, Klon(e), Screamers, I like the Keeley ARIA, D&M Drive, and the RED Dirt (the Mini is a TS with different sounds from Amp-ish to Hotter TS).

abnerfm likes this.
  5. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

Metropoulos supa-boost
    requires 200ma but will deliver the goods with your amp. he's doing another run soon. explore this option. every od pedal that snow and steel suggested is great and will sound even better with the met boost. 18watters can get ice picky so having the ability to control mid, treble & bass from the pedal makes dialing in the goods easy/peasy with the met. the dynamics are insane and it blends naturally with a marshall circuit. not really an overdrive, not really a clean boost but oh sooooooo goooooood!

abnerfm likes this.
  6. piper19

piper19 Member

Zvex box of rock

abnerfm likes this.
  7. roblovesolives

roblovesolives Member

Hotcake works really well with my 2061x which is similar.

abnerfm and sanhozay like this.
  8. Morgancograve

Morgancograve Member

I had a 1974x for a few years. I found it hard to get OD pedals to sound like I wanted with it.

I think it just wanted to be turned up and be it’s own drive!

it loved my fuzzes though. Muff, FF, All good!

abnerfm likes this.
  9. andrekp

andrekp Member

SERIOUSLY! You need a DIRT PEDAL to go with that amp that is KNOWN for its glorious dirt? I suspect you are doing it wrong...

You DO NOT play an 18watt clean and use pedals for dirt. That is a sin with such an amp. But the way to get dirt on an 18watt is to use a pedal to boost the amp into MORE breakup. For that, a Timmy works well. A Red Snapper isn’t bad either. Maybe a Rat. It’s mostly cleanish boost along with some tone control that works best.

set the 18watt on just breaking up, with your guitar volume on 10. On mine, that’s about noon on the amp. Now you can rollback volume on the guitar and get what passes for clean on the 18watt. Or pick harder and get good light grind.

to use a boost, like a Timmy to get a heavier grind, Put the amp up high where you like the grind. Maybe 3 O’clock. Learn that sound. Now back it off to noon again and use the Timmy, mostly clean, to boost the amp into that grind you just liked so much. Go back and forth a few times. Adjust the tone controls on the Timmy to match the amp’s grind as close as possible. You want Timmy plus amp at noon to sound just like amp at 3. And what you are hearing when you do this IS pretty much amp at 3. The Timmy only augments the amp doing its thing.

The idea here is not to substitute Timmy dirt for the 18watt’s glorious dirt. Remember, in an 18watt, the dirt comes from the power tube overdrive, not the preamp. The thing you are aiming for is adding just the right amount of boost to drive the power tubes harder, not everything else.

so if you’ve done that right, you now have three levels of amp. Clean, slightly dirty, and dirty. That’s all you need and how to do it right.

smithguitars and abnerfm like this.
  10. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I'd wager a Beano Boost into that amp breathing a little would sound awesome.

11. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

I was about to post the same thing.

abnerfm and Bluesful like this.
  12. pete12string

pete12string Supporting Member

There’s a few that I like:
    Timmy
    Snouse BlackBox
    J. Rockett .45 Caliber
    Lovepedal COT50

abnerfm and AceBSpankin like this.
  13. effectsman

effectsman Member

Since Marshall’s when they are cooking are so mid rich, I take two approaches too boosting them. To make them saturate more and sound more searing in their tone, a TS style with the gain low and volume up - either a TS or a Klon is great for this. Or to fill out their tone and give them a bit more highs and lows I use more of a full range booster like the Lehle Sunday Driver or a Timmy.

abnerfm likes this.
  14. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

Barber Direct Drive Compact

abnerfm likes this.