• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

"Dirtier" Octave Pedal?

Stamos6669

Hey all,

I really like the octave sound on the OC-2 but I need to be able to do octave up and down AND be able to control the level of both octaves and the dry signal. due to pedal real estate, I decided to go with the classic nano pog to achieve this.

However I feel like the nano pog is a little to clean sounding. It's too organy and puts this sheen on the note I don't like.

I'm looking for something that sounds like the OC-2 but will have that sound for both the lower and upper octave and I can independently control both octave levels and the dry blend like the nano pog. So basically the nano pog controls with the OC-2 sound for the upper and lower octave.

Is there anything out there for me?

VHS analog

Use a mixer to run just the wet signal through a dirt pedal.
Or buy a Foxrox Octron.
Have you looked at the Bit Commander?

Stamos6669

I guess "dirtier" isn't the word. Not sure how to describe the Boss OC-2 sound. I don't mean I want more distortion. I guess I like the little artifacts? But I'd want it to be polyphonic.

Stamos6669

the foxrox octron sounds cool but I don't like the upper octave adding a whole lot of fuzz style distortion. I see that there's an internal trimmer but I wonder how much cleaner that makes it?

I'll definitely have to try this out in person

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
The problem is that the OC-2 is analog, which creates those nice (imo) aritfacts it's got, you most likely can't have that and it being polyphonic at the same time.
That said, check out the TC Sub 'N' Up maybe, you could possibly get fairly close with it.

Squatch57

The Boss OC-2 generates a synthesised sine wave, that's why it sounds so smooth
The Guyatone MO-3 has a similar setup but synthesises square wave distortion with a 3-way filter switch
It's also glitchier than the Boss, but great for experimental octave grunge..and it's also monophonic
(don't bother with the youtube demo of the Guyatone...it's terrible. I will do a demo at some point)

Modulator

the foxrox octron sounds cool but I don't like the upper octave adding a whole lot of fuzz style distortion. I see that there's an internal trimmer but I wonder how much cleaner that makes it?

I'll definitely have to try this out in person
You don't need the trimmers, the three knobs control the upper octave, normal signal, and the sub-octave levels. The upper octave doesn't sound bad with chords, but the lower octave will glitch out when playing chords, which can be a cool sputtery effect, but if polyphony is the dealbreaker, you will have to go digital. There is no cheap way to do polyphonic octaves. The Octron is tracks monophonic very well.

shizzaq

Silver Supporting Member
Hey all,

I really like the octave sound on the OC-2 but I need to be able to do octave up and down AND be able to control the level of both octaves and the dry signal. due to pedal real estate, I decided to go with the classic nano pog to achieve this.

However I feel like the nano pog is a little to clean sounding. It's too organy and puts this sheen on the note I don't like.

I'm looking for something that sounds like the OC-2 but will have that sound for both the lower and upper octave and I can independently control both octave levels and the dry blend like the nano pog. So basically the nano pog controls with the OC-2 sound for the upper and lower octave.

Is there anything out there for me?
Yes the EHX Microsynth or Bass Microsynth is what you should look at.

Stamos6669

Okay I think I can let polyphony go but definitely still need to control upper, lower, and dry.

That pearl oc7 sounds incredible! And it doesn't add any distortion or fuzz, which I also like. Has those analog sounding artifacts I've mentioned. Not so pure sounding as the pog. Might be just what I'm looking for. Checking out the other pedals y'all have mentioned too.

Thanks all!

AXXA

Silver Supporting Member
The Octron's upper octave can get fairly clean by turning the internal gain all the way down. You can also turn down the treble internally, which sounds good. And the lower octave's internal trim pot has a great range of sounds. There's a lot more going on than meets the eye

JonSick

I like my MXR Slash Octave Fuzz. But I find it doesn't track well with lower tunings. With standard E or even D it's fine.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom