1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dirty Boy Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by TaronKeim, Jan 6, 2005.

1. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Has anyone tried them, one seems too be a 12 position click switch germanium booster/fuzz and the other (Afro Fuzz) is an insanely thick, distorted 6 position click germanium/silicon hybrid. They sound awesome and I'd really like to pick up the Afro Fuzz but at $375USD that ain't cheap. They are built by Blues Saraceno's father, Alex, he also built the Dirty Boy Amplifiers for Blues. If anyone has tried them, or heard them in person, I'd love to hear what you think and if they're worth the cash.

-TJK

2. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

I LOVE the clips on the web page, but the price turned me
    of right away.

I'm curious if anyone ownes any of these.

3. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I know, the rhythm tone for the 2nd clip of the Afro Fuzz is just killing me, I'm tempted to jump the gun and buy it soley for that tone, but it'd be nice to know if it can do more. I've talked to Alex and he says the 6 position switch makes a HUGE difference in sounds and that the clips just don't show it very well.

-TJK

4. exodus

exodus Member

I just found those clips today and really liked the germanium boy pedal. i forgot how much it cost, but it sounded great. any users?

5. basscracker

basscracker Guest

nice looking pedals,are those prices list?

6. Lonely Raven

Lonely Raven Member

He sells them directly, so there is none of that ListPrice BS.

Just his (expensive) selling price.

If they were sub $200, I'd be all over them.

7. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Same price from PedalGeek as well, so even in mass amounts there isn't a discount, my guess is, he is JUST starting out, and using some really highend stuff, the germanium transistors are out of 40 year old italian keyboards, plus, LA studio musicians are using them (which automatically adds more cost to just about everything). There are some reviews on HC and they are rather shinning, they all comment on how utterly noiseless the pedal is, which is rare for germanium and even more rare for a fuzz. Plus with all the options, hopefully it'd kick some of your other pedals off the board so you could sell some and make up for the cost. I'm thinking I might bite the bullet and pick up an Afro Fuzz.

-TJK

P.S For the reviews on HC look up Blues Saraceno

8. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

9. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

I heard a production version of the Germanium Boy that never actually made it into production for it didn't sound anywhere near as good as the hand made one.

Even then it just absolutely ROCKED !!!!

These pedals have tons of gain and really push the front end of your amp. The 12 position tone/eq knob is far more versatile than anyone would think.

I heard it on a Groove Tubes Soul-o 45 and it turned that amp from an ultra clean amp into a rockin distortion box by the way it hit the front end of the amp.

Again, these are high gain pedals. Wondering if you could actually blow up the front end of your amp with these pedals ??

10. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

I thought the GERM BOY sounded pretty cool ,but only like the 2cnd clip of the AFROBOY .I thought the rest sounded like crap. Although it's hard to judge from a clip.I'd have a hard time justifing that price tag for any pedal.

11. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I completely agree, it is hard to justify, and the germ boy sounds good, but I have my TMB for germ boosting and stuff. That 2nd clip of the Afro Fuzz is the tone for fuzz I've been hearing in my head my whole life, I really wanna go for it... but I dunno.

-TJK

12. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Thats awesome that the positions have that much variance, thats what Alex was telling me, that the clips don't do the versatility of the units any justice at all. I'm positive you could probably blow you amp with a lot of pedals that have that much boost if you keep the output pumpin' too much. Do you know anything about the production models now, did they go back to making them handmade, or find a new build manufacturer?

-TJK

13. ES330

ES330 Supporting Member

Alex wasn't happy with the production models.....so NO production models at all.

However, Seymour Duncan has some arrangement where they will be coming out with their own production models with a 'similar' but 'not exact' unit. I believe also less tone positions.

I don't even think Alex knows what it will sound like.

That's all I know.

14. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Thats awesome, thanks Al Z... I think if they are handmade then and they sounded that much better... I'm gonna bite the bullet at the end of the month:dude

-TJK

15. meterman

meterman Member

Hmmm, why would anybody want to demo a $375 pedal through a $99 guitar and $150 amp? I think alot of what I'm hearing with the fuzz clips is the speaker hanging on for dear life....I would like to hear them through a rig that would actually represent what someone might gig with...I don't know, they sound good but not great to me. There are alot of good germ boosts out there for less $$, and as for fuzz I think you could get those big bottom, high gain tones from a Fuzz Factory or a good Big Muff clone like the MJM Foxey or Frantone Sweet. Just my $.02 of course

16. ToneDog

ToneDog Member

+1.

I couldn't agree more, Paul.

17. CHyde

CHyde Member

Link anyone? Where can I check them out?

18. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Go to PedalGeek and look on the left hand side of your screen, scroll down and under the D section there should be Dirty Boy, and there are clips for each pedal at the bottom of the page.

-TJK

19. gururyan

gururyan Member

Here is the official site:
    Blues Saraceno

20. BHilty

BHilty Member

I just got the germanium boy.
    I always wanted one of the dirty boy amps, but they aint avail.
    So for me, this was the next best thing.
    I didnt think there was a ton of gain in it, but it was good just the same for a boost.
    Ive only played it once, again....I just got the thing.
    The position switch does make HUGE differences in the sound.
    I understand for lead, they work best with single coils and non master volume amps (per alex)
    Yep they are pricey. Im still chewin on it. So far I only played it with a humbucker gtr (pv USA wolfgang).
    The freq switch goes from massive bass overtones to super thin tele. Would be good for a person that uses lots of diff. amps........like Blues Saraceno I guess eh?

I need to spend more time with it.
    I keep having to show up for work and it poses a time crunch ;)