• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Dirty pots

nick53

Hi All,

I recently found a Yamaha Strat copy in a skip! On taking it home I found it to be perfectly playable (but sounding and playing a lot different to my Ricky 360/12!), except for the Volume control which cuts out the sound, unless its set to maximum. I am going to try a Switch/contact cleaner aerosol inside the pots and switches, are these cleaners any good? I've checked the wiring and its all fine, I suspect a little surface oxidisation of the contacts.

Last edited:

EADGBE

They say those type of cleaners can do more harm than good on potentiometers. As they are different than switches etc. People here suggest Fader Lube for pots.

WDeranged

Yeah get some Faderlube, normal contact cleaner will ruin the feel of the pot as it dissolves all the grease inside the shaft. Even Faderlube can change the feel of a smooth pot but at least it leaves some of it's own lube behind and almost always fixes the scratchy sound.

Trending Topics