Dirty Shirley 40 Watt Magic tone setting for me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hdspringer98, Feb 6, 2020.

1. hdspringer98

hdspringer98 Supporting Member

I've had the DS40 with the gain switch for several months now. Love the amp! Last night, on a whim, with the gain switch up, I decided to crank the B, M, T knobs to 10, Presence on 4, gain at noon. MV at 9 oclock. Whoa Nelly! That's THE tone for me, sounds amazing with low output humbuckers and single coils.

2. marshall2553

marshall2553 Supporting Member

Is up the medium or high gain setting? I had Dave install the gain switch on my older DS40 and it goes left/right instead of up/down. I occasionally run mine on the low gain setting into a load box with B/M/T on 10, master on 10 and gain around noon or higher and love that tone. To me that puts it in the ballpark of cranked plexi tones.

3. Wdgx3

Wdgx3 Member

Yeah, EQ maxed out is a great tone. I leave mine like that for the most part. But gain around 8. Perfect hard rock sound. It's a fantastic amp.

4. sixrails

sixrails Member

I haven't ever tried maxing the EQ on mine, I'll give that a shot. What speakers are in your cab?

5. hdspringer98

The 1x12 open back on top in my avatar is a G12h30 and the 2x12 Germino closed back on the bottom has a G12H30 and a V30. Cabs are 8ohms each for 4ohm at the amp.

sixrails likes this.
  6. hdspringer98

Mine is a newer one with the switch from the factory, up is the original DS gain. Middle is lowest gain, down is medium gain. I like the low input too.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
  7. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Nice! I may have to try your settings. My DS40 head is a few years old and doesn't have the gain switch. I always seem to settle in around these settings:

Presence: 11 o'clock to noon
    Bass: 11 o'clock
    Mids: 1-2 o'clock
    Treble: 11 o'clock
    Gain: 10-11 o'clock
    Master: noon to 1 o'clock (I'm usually into an attenuator at home or my Suhr Reactive Load IR, although do crank her up when my wife isn't around.

I'm going for a classic to hard rock tone. I usually hit the front end with an OD, boost, or Treble Booster for lead tones. Sometimes I'll crank the gain higher and just go straight in.

8. Wdgx3

Wdgx3 Member

Give the eq maxed out a try. Seems to make it more present and tight. I use a regular ts9 tube screamer to bump it a bit with the gain off and level around half. Really rips.

I've also noticed the amp cleans up better with the GV when the eq is maxed. See what you think.

sickboy79 likes this.
  9. sixrails

sixrails Member

Maxed out the EQ last night and it didn't work for me. Too much treble... Maybe those settings just aren't Telecaster friendly. The settings that work for me (using numbers not clock positions) are:

Bass: 4
    Middle: 7
    Treble: 4
    Presence: 2
    Gain: 7
    Input: Low

Speaker: Dirty Shirley 1x12 open back cab with G12M-25 Greenback
    Guitar: American Telecaster with Mojotone Broadcaster pickups and tone knob 1/4 of the way down on bridge pickup (full up on neck pickup)

With these settings the amp gets nice and dirty when I dig in but cleans up sparkly clean when I play soft.

10. jimijimmyjeffy

jimijimmyjeffy Member

No but with my strat I always dime the mids and run presence on 9 or 8. That really wakes the amp up with my strat. I never run the bass above 9:00 with gain. Treble is ususlly at 4 or 5. Then I like the low input and two lower gain settings. I dime the gain knob often.

11. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

Everything at 12:00, low gain setting, with a Buxom Boost (everything neutral except the tight knob at 2:30).