Disappointed with Boss PH-2

83stratman

Silver Supporting Member
So I walk into a local shop and they have a clean used PH-2 in the box for $39. I was excited, because I have read some good things about the PH-2 and who can resist a cool $39 pedal. I was about ready to buy it unheard, but decided to take listen first. I didn't dig it, oh well...

Next stop, the other local shop that I make rounds too. They had a PH-1r, granted not quite as cheap as $39, but a decent deal all the same. Again, I have read good things about this one too. I reluctantly put my PH-2 disappointment aside and tried it. I TOTALLY dig this one! I guess the day wasn't a total loss...

flyonthewall150

Silver Supporting Member
I love the PH-2. I think it's such a cool sounding phaser. Great for alternative/shoegazer type stuff.

Clean Channel

The PH-1r and the PH-2 are completely different types of phasers. The PH-1r is a 4 stage phaser, while the PH-2 is a 10 and 12 stage phaser. The 4-stage PH-1r is more 'classic' sounding than the PH-2.

Both are excellent sounding, analog phasers, that compliment each other perfectly.

Personally, I think they both are useful for different purposes, so I keep both handy.

That said, for the style of music I typically play, I use the PH-1r more often.

Ryan84

I'm with you guys on loving the PH-1R. I would describe it as lush and liquidy. It's also a very warm sounding Phaser. I like it much better than even a Script Reissue Phase 90. Had a PH-2 in my teens and it was very "meh". Here it is on my board, where it will stay next to it's buddy the CE-2. With the rate knob up to 3' o clock on the PH-1R, it kind of does a subtle Uni-vibe thing if you need it too. I can get away with using it for Floyd's Breathe. I got mine for $75 at Guitar Center which I thought was a decent price. Keep on the lookout for one. Don't pay double that on Ebay.

Last edited:

Ryan84

No love for mode II?
It's not even like the PH-2 is a bad phaser by any means whatsoever. It's just that the PH-1R is soooo damn good lol. Not going to say better because everyone has their own opinion. Just for me it's my preference by a long shot.

d-rock

10 and 12 step phasers have their place, it works quite well for the Incubus sound - it's the exact pedal Mike uses. It's much more of a vocal sound rather than classic 70's tone.

I had one, liked it but eventually went back to a Phase 90. It was a little too modern sounding for me.

partytrain

Ph-2 has been one of the pedals that has never left my board. I don't use a ton of phaser on my gigs, but it does what I need it to.

Bucksears

Gold Supporting Member
I have both the PH-1R and PH-2. I love the PH-2's mode II for an awesome compressed sound when running a high gain distortion into it. It's definitely a more modern phaser vs a classic 4-stage, but I can find a place for it.

Trending Topics