Disappointed with response from pickup manufacturer - am I being unreasonable?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jacklickson, Feb 18, 2019.

1. jacklickson

jacklickson Silver Supporting Member

I'm not going to name the manufacturer, so please don't ask. Not trolling anyone. I'm looking for honest opinions - do I have reason to be disappointed? Because I am.

- Ordered a FB pickup directly from a reputable manufacturer that makes excellent products. Never heard a bad word about their products or services. In fact I'm sure if I named them I'd get a thousand replies telling me that the company and their products are wonderful.

- Got the pickup installed. Sounds fantastic - couldn't be happier.

- Realized once it was installed that the rest of my hardware isn't in fact chrome, but nickel. Pickup doesn't match my tuners (less of an issue), pickup surround (provided by the manufacturer) or my bridge. Looks weird.

- Contacted the builder and asked to purchase a new cover. Received very prompt and polite reply that was essentially a "no". Offered to recover the pickup for $30 plus shipping (both ways).

- Explained I was in another country, and that shipping both ways and exchange would likely come to $100 for a $10 part. Offered to waive any warranty claim arising from replacing the cover. Even offered to send the old cover back at my own expense (they raised neither of these issues). Asked politely what the risk or inconvenience was to them. Reply I got back was "we just don't do that".

I now need to buy another cover but can't seem to find the exact same dimensions for the FB pickup. I'm aware of the size distinctions between vintage and vintage repros. I cannot find another modern cover the same size as my vintage repro pickup.

Need a nickel cover that's 2 11/16" x 1 3/32". Ideas appreciated. I haven't scoured all ends of the web yet but I've looked a fair bit.

Am I wrong to have expected better? I wasn't asking for something for nothing.

nowhere likes this.
  2. ieso

ieso Member

Is this a restocking fee or something?

3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

What's "FB?"

4. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Supporting Member

Not unreasonable based on what you wrote.

JCastro, Matt Rain, pattste and 3 others like this.
  5. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

Sounds like they don’t want someone taking the cover off & installing a new one. I assume the cover is soldered on. There is a chance of messing up the pickup.

6. Lonnie00

Lonnie00 Member

They won't sell you a cover? That seems odd. Easy fix is remove the chrome cover, hit it with 0000 steel wool and reinstall.

7. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Member

does the cover have their name on it? if that is the case then i can see why they may not want to do that. also dude how could you not realize that it wouldn't match until after you installed it? surely you would notice if it is that far off.

kafka, larry1096 and yakyak like this.
  8. jacklickson

I took the pickup out of the shipping box, put it in the guitar case, and brought it to be installed. I didn’t notice. So what? I already acknowledged that I didn’t notice and said it was my bad. I also acknowledged to them that it was 100% my error

9. jacklickson

It doesn’t have their name on it. No identifying marks

nowhere likes this.
  10. jacklickson

Pardon my genuine lack of knowledge here (promise I’m not being a smart @ss) but how does that get me close to the look of nickel? Would I just have a scratched up chrome cover? Genuine question

darth_tar and ffoont like this.
  11. jacklickson

Agreed. The tell me that’s the reason. I told them I would assume all liability for it. All I got was basically “because I said so”.

I didn’t realize my Dad worked there lol

12. JWK

JWK Member

Firebird, I'm guessing.

sjwieczorkow, Gig Young and Roe like this.
  13. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

I assume FB means firebird pickup? Firebird pickups are sort of built into the cover and it’s not as easy to swap the cover with out screwing it up as a regular humbucker.
    So I would say the pickup guy is really trying to help you and 30 bucks is not so bad since you selected chrome not nickel...

14. jacklickson

Firebird

shadowbox likes this.
  15. Frozen Rat

Frozen Rat Gold Supporting Member

Would shipping really be $100 for a pickup? Surely you can find a cheaper method if you look into it. You don't have anything like USPS small flat-rate boxes? Find a cheaper way of mailing and send it back is what I advise. The pickup cover must be something that isn't just a snap-on for them to not want you doing it. I don't know why they won't just send you a new cover, but they won't so your only real choice is to send it back for the new cover.

16. jacklickson

Thanks for the input. More than I got from them. No one said “we’ll its really tricky on a FB pickup so it’s best we do it”. That’s a far cry from “we don’t sell covers apart from an order of pickups” which was the exact reply I received.

17. Ghast

Ghast Member

Not unreasonable, imo. They have their policies in place for a reason (to protect their brand, surely). It wasn't unreasonable of you to ask, but it also isn't unreasonable of them to decline.

musicbliss, kafka, jpagey and 35 others like this.
  18. jacklickson

Insured shipping both ways plus $30 USD plus exchange? Yep pretty close if not $100. Welcome to Canada, where competition goes to die lol

brb9911, TTHX and Zer0beaT like this.
  19. rumbletone

rumbletone Silver Supporting Member

That’s their prerogative. If you don’t like it, don’t buy from them again (which is the buyer’s prerogative).

20. jacklickson

How does selling me a cover jeopardize their brand?

Zer0beaT likes this.