Disappointed with Seymour Duncan Customer Service

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 1954 Tele dude, Apr 22, 2016.

1. 1954 Tele dude

1954 Tele dude Supporting Member

Hi all,

Awhile back, better part of a year ago, I bought some Triple Shot pickup rings, and installed them on a 335. I liked them so much, I purchased more, and installed them on two more guitars.

Recently, I bought two more to install in another guitar. The ribbon cable that attaches to the small pc board literally fell off in my hand on one. I inspected the other, and it was half way disconnected.

I went on the Seymour Duncan website, and filled out their online form for customer service. I promptly received an automated message that they had received my email, and would get back to me as soon as possible. A week went by, and I sent another form in, as I did earlier. Same automatic reply. That was two weeks ago, and still no follow up from SD. Last week, I called their phone number, and was put on hold for a protracted length of time. When I was connected, it was a third party company that prompted me to leave a message for Seymour Duncan, which I did. Still no contact from SD Customer service.

I have since done some research, and found several people that have had the same experiences with the new Triple Shot rings. Surely, a defect has occurred with this product. I have been doing electrical/electronics work for over 40 years. SD could be using a ribbon cable socket on their pc boards. This would be far more substantial of a connection that what they currently use on the Triple Shot rings. I know it's only $50.00 for two of these items, but for Seymour Duncan not to get back to me leaves me with the conclusion that I will no longer purchase their products. Too bad, as they do make great products.

Just an FYI about one of their products, and an apparent lack of interest from their Customer Service department of late.

Thank you.

2. scolfax

scolfax Supporting Member

1954 Tele dude likes this.
  3. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

I won't go into details, but I had a TERRIBLE experience with their custom shop, trying to buy some custom pickups. I won't buy anything custom from SD again because it was the worst CS experience I've ever had with music gear. I'll still buy their off-the-rack stuff.

Blues Power likes this.
  4. Sloppyfingers

Sloppyfingers Member

Good to know..I was eyeing out their new Palladium pedal. I don't need it..It would of been a GAS purchase.
    With so much competition out there, these manufacturers have to realize that they have to provide good customer service.

Now I know to stay clear of this manufacturer just out of spite..

5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

It would have, but aren't they all.

Who else makes pickup rings with those little switches on them?

This is the first I've seen or heard about such a thing. It's pretty cool.

If SD has ONE department for CS of all products, then I don't see how it's ridiculous.

6. kakev

kakev Member

some month ago I had pile on antiquity pickups laying around and for selling purposes had to identify which is rwrp and which is not. So i used contact form on their website but they never got back to me, instead of that i started reveiving their newsletter. Perhaps they will some day cover how to identify antiquity pickups.

7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

You can tell which are reverse wound by tapping on the pole pieces (with something metallic) while you have an analog multimeter across the leads.

You can also just use a compass to figure out which are reverse polarity.

8. 1954 Tele dude

Thank you for the advice, scolfax.

All, I really love these rings, especially when mated with SD P-Rails. Some excellent tones, right at your finger tips. Just wishing they would stand behind their product, or at least contact me. I have had excellent Customer Service from Lollar Pickups.

9. Mincer

Mincer Member

I am sorry you had this experience! If you PM me your name, email, and phone #, I can make sure the right person takes care of you!

10. meowmers

meowmers Member

Mincer to the rescue!

Mincer likes this.
  11. coltonius

coltonius Señor Member Silver Supporting Member

Oh look. SD isn't as bad as projected..

That's crazy. :aok

CJReaper, Mincer, Fuzzr and 2 others like this.
  12. 1954 Tele dude

Mincer, thank you so very much for your offer of help. I have PM'd you the information that you requested. Once resolved, I will let everyone know how this came out, publicly.

coltonious, nobody is damning anyone here. Thank you.

Pizza likes this.
  13. coltonius

I'm truly glad it worked out for you- or that it's getting worked out. I guess you missed posts 3 and 4 though?

14. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Hey, I was just stating the facts. Did it ever occur to you that just because YOU have never had a bad customer service experience with -insert vendor here- doesn't mean that others haven't? Further, I also specified I would still by off-the-rack stuff, just not custom stuff. My personal experience was a disaster, EVEN AFTER getting a "forum friend" to "email somebody for me" to "help me resolve the issue." In the end, the issue was resolved when I sold the sub-par "custom shop" product I bought. Frankly, the QC wasn't even up to the standards of the off-the-rack stuff, and I paid a premium for it.

15. coltonius

Feel better?

Lots of things occurred to me, like how even the best in the business have off days. It occurred to me that SD drops the ball from time to time, and it occurred to me that you're upset because they didn't live up to your standard of "good customer service." It occurred to me as a consumer that you're justified in wanting your money/investment to be worthwhile, but it also occurred to me as a writer that saying, I won't give the facts, but my opinion is that I had an awful experience, is actually not as helpful as you think.

And since it's occurred to me that you are taking my comments way to personally, I respectfully leave this thread. Good day, sir.

I said good day! :D

AceBSpankin likes this.
  16. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Lots of things occurred to me too.... like since it wasn't YOU, you have no idea what you're talking about. So yeah- good day.

FbIsNotE and JPIndustrie like this.
  17. ellsworthman

ellsworthman Silver Supporting Member

None of the rest of us have any idea what you're talking about either without a few details.

meltedbuzzbox likes this.
  18. Ryan84

Ryan84 Member

I haven't dealt with their customer service, but on the duncan pickup lounge forum employees from the cs have answered my questions before. To be honest, isn't it kind of nice a company as big as SD does custom orders in general? I know tons of boutique makers do, but i dont think Dimarzio or Fender makes custom pickups tailored for a regular musician, or do they? I'm actually asking....

19. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

Doesn't SD charge about $200 each for those customs?

20. Mincer

Mincer Member

A pickup from the Custom Shop? It is usually around $160US, depending on materials and how much custom fabrication is needed (it would be more if you want a pink Rickenbacker pickup, or one of those boomerang pickups on the old Gibson Flying V IIs, or one out of solid gold).