Disappointed with the new UK greenbacks

JB6464

I bought a new quad of UK Greenbacks from Avatarspeakers.com for one of my 4X12's and I couldn't believe how different they sound to the Chinese version.
Straight out of the box into my 4X12 they had no top end bite at all, way too polite sounding from the get-go and their not even broken in yet, I can't image how much duller they will sound once they are.
Dave is a super nice guy and builds great products and in no way it's any of his fault, it's something Celestion has changed in their greenback formula since building them again in the UK.
Players online will say they are the same as the Chinese version once they are broken in, but I call BS. If they are that dull sounding right out of the box, just imagine how dull and smooth sounding they will be broken in.
Out they go, end of rant!

VICOwner

Gold Supporting Member
See if you can eq them in to get the sound you’re after. They may never be what you want for sound but greenbacks are the cup of tea for me. I’ve got Scumback clones so I don’t know what either of what you have sound like and I don’t know if the ones I have are true pre rola sound but I like what I hear.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
FWIW - I had a quad of modern Greenbacks and I could never dial out that upper-mid rasp in them.

Not sure if that's what you consider 'the bite', or you're more referring to top-end frequencies?

VICOwner

Gold Supporting Member
My understanding is that the old pre rola greenbacks were so appealing because of their warmth. It seems that the UK built speakers you have now are producing more of this effect. Have you tried Vintage 30’s?

JB6464

Not sure if that's what you consider 'the bite', or you're more referring to top-end frequencies?
Most new speakers do have a top end sizzle but once they are broken it levels off, with greenbacks once they are broken in, they have a that nice vintage midrange bark but not dull on the top end.
But these new UK greenies are dull right out of the box, only to get duller once they get broken in.

Last edited:

KingsXJJ

Most new speakers do have a top end sizzle but once they are broken it levels off, with greenbacks once they are broken in, they have a that nice vintage midrange bark but not dull on the top end.
But these new UK greenies are dull right out of the box, only to get duller once they get broken in.
How does one know whether they are getting a Chinese or UK RI? I see only one GB listed on the website besides the Heritage and EVH.

JB6464

How does one know whether they are getting a Chinese or UK RI? I see only one GB listed on the website besides the Heritage and EVH.
Because all standard greenbacks have been made in England since around 2018.
Heritages and the EVH models are different than the the standard OEM greenbacks.
The identification is all over my boxing material and codes stamped on speakers. (T1221).

KingsXJJ

Because all standard greenbacks have been made in England since around 2018.
Heritages and the EVH models are different than the the standard OEM greenbacks.
And it's all over my boxing material and codes.
Good to know. Maybe you could find some NOS Chinese Greenbacks with some sleuthing.

I think I’d prefer the softer top of the UK GB’s so this is really useful info for me.

JB6464

I have to respectfully disagree with that.

The midrange in the modern Greenbacks (assembled in the UK or China) will never been the same as the vintage ones (brand new or broken in).
I agree with your point, I was trying to refer the greenback more to that old school sound, not today's modern tones Celestion puts out.

JB6464

Bummer, I ordered 2 UK Greenies and 2 70th anniversary from Avatar for my 4x12.
The Uk Greenies are not bad speakers imo, just that they sound dull when you turn up the volume to gigging level.
It's like the top end is really restrained in my 4x12. :(

Top Bottom