Disappointed.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GrooveMerchant, Aug 13, 2019.

1. GrooveMerchant

GrooveMerchant Member

I just purchased a used TA-30 head.
    It's from 2011 and suffers from the reverb/effects loops noise issue. I guess the previous owner never bothered to get it fixed.
    This is a known issue for which they have a fix.
    But they will not cover the amp because it's out of warranty, even though it is within the range of serial numbers that they deemed eligible for the fix.
    If I bought a vehicle that qualified for a recall that wasn't address by the previous owner it would still qualify.
    I realize this isn't a safety issue, but I believed that Mesa would stand behind their products.
    Very disappointing.
    I could pay for the fix at a cost of about $150, but then the decent deal I got on the amp is no longer so decent.
    Am I wrong to think Mesa should cover the fix for a known issue even though the amp is out of warranty?

Nuclear Plexi and Vaibhav Joshi like this.
  2. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

You probably should have checked BEFORE you bought the thing......

3. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

A recall and a warranty repair aren’t the same thing.

They have a ridiculously generous warranty. Sucks the guy didn’t take advantage of it but they can’t set precedent for doing out of warranty repairs for free. Some companies wouldn’t even give you the option of having the repair done at all.

Land Rover knows their air suspension on certain model year range rovers from the 90s sucked....

markjsmith, Cruciform, grritz and 6 others like this.
  4. GrooveMerchant

GrooveMerchant Member

That's helpful.
    Why didn't I think of that?
    I did ask the seller if it suffered from the issue, and he said no.
    The environment in which I tried the amp was such that it wasn't evident.
    It is not really noticeable at louder/gig volumes, but playing quietly at home or recording, it is annoying.

Danny D, OutterLimits, QRSS and 7 others like this.
  5. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

You bought it used. It’s on you.

6. JK1965

JK1965 Silver Supporting Member

There are time periods on warranties and from a business standpoint disregarding this is very costly. They have no obligation whatsoever to fix it.

If you really like this amp, $150 is not much to get it right.

7. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

I bet Mesa is disappointed that someone is complaining about their service for no reason online too.....

8. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

It's a good question if there was a recall but I've not tried getting an amp repaired under a recall before. Sorry you got a lemon, but if you really like the amp otherwise and the repair makes it go from "great deal" to "ok deal" - isn't it worth it? In future, make sure you check warranty term and transferability to new owner. Good luck.

9. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

If that's the case, then your beef belongs with the seller, not with Mesa. Have you asked the seller for help covering the repair?

GT100, mbenigni, Grad and 21 others like this.
  10. d'djembe mutombo

d'djembe mutombo Member

A recall is different from a defect. A recall is a design flaw that inherently affects the safety or livelihood of the end user. That is why your car gets recalled for a break light issue, but probably wont if your gear shift light goes out. Now if your gearshift light went out within your bumper-to-bumper warranty, the manufacturer would fund the fix.

Your noisy FX/reverb has no impact on your safety. You are outside of the warranty so it is now your problem. Your amp would be recall worthy if say there was an improperly grounded circuit that released high voltage to the touch of the standby switch.

Don't be mad a Mesa. $150 really isn't that bad of a bill to have a fantastic amp fully functional.

Grad, Benderp and stratadp like this.
  11. GrooveMerchant

GrooveMerchant Member

Well I was misled or mistaken in my understanding of this.
    Just spoke with Mesa again and they clarified that it is a warranty issue, and not a recall as I was lead to believe.
    So, it's on me to decide if I can live with the issue, or pony up the cash to address it.
    Thank you for everyone who offered clarification.
    To those offering judgement, thanks for nothing.

12. 44 and feeling it

44 and feeling it Member

Thats great thanks for posting about being disappointed and then having your issue clarified. So i guess you can change the thread title now to 'disappointed in myself and the guy who sold me this Mesa.'

keenan, Grad, musicbliss and 11 others like this.
  13. GrooveMerchant

GrooveMerchant Member

If you look, you will see that I already changed the title, but thanks for nothing.

14. BigBadOrange

BigBadOrange Member

Sucks to have that happen, I hope you can get it fixed one way or another and start enjoying the amp.

15. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

If you do decide to get it fixed and your tech needs the schematic and procedure send me a pm with your email and I can email the document if you don’t have it.

My buddy has a TA30 combo and has just lived with the noise so far. When he is ready we will get it fixed.

GrooveMerchant likes this.
  16. panther_king

panther_king Member

I think the TA-30 is a solid amp; it's probably worth the money to have it fixed if you're using the loop. Especially if you have a local tech who can do it properly without having the ship it to Mesa.

You really need that schematic though; Mesa amps are a nightmare for amateur/journeyman repair techs to work on.

17. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

If you're gonna keep it, then why not go ahead and get it repaired so you can enjoy it to the fullest? At least you'd have a chance of recouping the repair cost if/when you were to sell it down the road.

Otherwise, this:

[​IMG]

JefeMaximo likes this.
  18. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

Im disappointed.....in this thread. Try to better meet my expectations next time.

19. Dave Merrill

Dave Merrill Supporting Member

It does seem like the seller should cover or at least help with this. You asked about a specific known defect, he said it didn't have it, but it does. Maybe he legit didn't know, maybe not. In any case, I'd talk to him.

If that doesn't go anywhere, gotta say, it lands on you to pay for the fix or live with the issue, unfortunately.

Benderp, Tomo El Gato and zuel69 like this.
  20. Bogner

Bogner Member

Of course you are wrong. You know this.

The real issue is do you like the amp or not? If so, pay to have it fixed and enjoy the amp. You got a decent deal on the amp as is. Amps are going to require some maintenance over time, would you be upset if it needed tubes? If you like the amp, fix it play it and be happy. If the money to get it fixed is a life changer (especially in the long term) then your mistake was buying an amp in the first place.