Disappointed.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GrooveMerchant, Aug 13, 2019.

1. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Disappointed. in this thread

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  2. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

That is the risk of buying stuff used!
    I bought an amp with a bent chassis. Previous buyer disclosed but claimed it did not affect the tone, or sound, amp performs and functions normally, etc.... Unfortunately it had serious vibration issues because of the bent chassis that were audible, it was pretty much unusable. Amp manufacturer wouldn't do anything to help, previous owner basically told me to f*** off!
    Because of stuff like this I'm super careful before I purchase anything used as I was pretty much out $1500 for that amp! Now my crapload of questions usually pisses off sellers, but several times now I have bought stuff used that was claimed to be mint and had issues that would have made me pass on the sale (disclosed and downplayed or undisclosed)!
    If you'd bought new either that wouldn't happen or you'd be under warranty!

MESA has a very generous warranty BTW! It's not on them to honor any warranty that is expired or void to anyone! The previous owner if he told you it didn't have the issue is at fault here! He may have never used the loop or not known there was an issue, but if he told you it didn't have the issue it's on him! That doesn't mean you have any recourse, but thats again "the risk of buying used"!

3. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

I have had amps that I never even fired up at home, used for years only in a practice space or gigs. Not hard to believe the seller was being straight in this case.

I feel for the buyer, having had my share of disappointment/aggravation/cost with used gear but I think his expectations were overly optimistic as far as having the manufacturer make him whole given the particulars. There’s some grey area but all in all I think this just has to be put in the lesson learned category.

4. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

And then we open up the OP to not only HW defects, which is likely been fixed by now, but also Software defects. All Software has defects, hopefully they are not noticed.

5. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

Good points, good perspectives.

After my experiences, I factor “service costs” into the acquisition price of the new amp, and TRY to factor in the time to drop it off with either of the two local techs before I need the new to me amp.

But nothing is free, and costs of ownership tend to be higher with tube amps versus say, a JC-120. If I buy this Mesa Mark V head I’ve been eyeing, after shipping and the technician’s $40 bench charge, if I’m still ahead of buying new, good for me! Buying used was a good choice.

But it’s possible that maybe the price was good not great, and some of the tubes are at the end of their service life, so I’m also on the hook for a full retube.

In the OP’s case, I understand his frustration first hand, but frustration alone won’t solve the problem.

He’s got an amp he’s ambivalent about, he can’t ethically move it on without either fixing it or at least disclosing the problem, and fixing it costs more money. And disclosure probably means getting less than he spent.

I’d suggest solving each issue in turn.

Like the amp: yes/no? If the amp is a keeper, fix it.

Don’t like it: fix it, get as much as you can for it, move on.

Serious Poo likes this.
  6. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

well there was only one question in the OP and it was "Am I wrong" . If the only answer he wants is "No" why even ask that question then?

jeff_lebowski and Hackdog69 like this.
  7. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

It’s how they let people know.

bluegrif likes this.
  8. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Because they want to share their disappointment and heartbreak with the world I guess.

9. JackfromAK

JackfromAK Gold Supporting Member

My favorite part of this is that Mesa acknowledges that the problem with the amp is absolutely of their making.

10. Senor Forum

Meh. It's an amp forum. We are all brothers and sisters in arms here.

Let 'em vent.

Thankfully no one has to read or reply to this.

11. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

To the point that they fixed it for owners, including 2nd hand ones, who thought it was enough of a "problem" to have fixed for free. I never heard of Marshall, Fender or Vox doing that. Then again they sell way more amps and can probably afford it a little easier, so hopefully they do. Pretty sure all of them have put out an amp or two with a noise issue that could have used a fix.

StummerJoe and supersoldier71 like this.
  12. Kurt L

Kurt L Member

The answer...

13. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Member

^^^ THIS!!! Mesa has always stood behind their products and bends over backwards to make sure their customers are happy. Groovemerchant, however, you were not a customer of Mesa Boogie. You were a customer of the guy who sold you a used amplifier. Big difference. On the plus side, Mesa WILL do the fix.

What I am curious about, is that you said you didn't notice the sound in the environment where you checked it out, and that it doesn't seem to be a problem when played loud, only quietly. So how loud did you play it when you checked it out? You didn't try it at different volume levels?

Sorry for your disappointment, but like others have said, at least Mesa will do the fix, and $150 isn't much. I can't think of any company that will honor their warranty after it has expired. Many don't honor after a change of ownership, though some do. Some companies wouldn't even respond.

therhodeo likes this.
  14. GrooveMerchant

GrooveMerchant Member

I did try it at different levels, but with only about 10 minutes to try it out, and a noisyish environment the issue wasn't evident.
    I also didn't know exactly what it would sound like having only read about the issue online.
    It's not a HUGE noise, but it is noticable and annoying at apartment/recording levels.
    With what I know now, I would have done my test run at the guy's place differently for sure.
    Hindsight.

15. GrooveMerchant

GrooveMerchant Member

I posted the question seeking clarification. Some forum members provided that.
    I am grateful to them.

16. Schafrocks

Schafrocks Supporting Member

I think it’s been pointed out that even they did cover it would likely be just as expensive to pay for shipping to Mesa for the repair. Plus, taking the chance it getting damaged in route. It doesn't even make sense financially. I understand him being disappointed because his amp isn’t performing to his expectations. But, it would probably be cheaper to take it somewhere locally to repair it and more than likely they are going to go over the amp and make sure there are no other issues with the amp. Which, would be a good idea anyway. That comes with the territory buying used.

Mesa repairing the amp would be a great good will gesture but expecting them to do it is unreasonable given the age of the amp and being out of warranty.

Again, even if they did, it would more than likely cost more to ship it to them than take it to someone locally. Just based on that. I’m not sure what the beef is with Mesa. If the 150 really the issue, it’s not going to be cheaper for Mesa to do it. To me that takes them out of the equation. If it was my amp , I wouldn’t take the chance of further Damaging the amp in transit. Plus, it’s a major pain in the ass properly boxing and shipping.

17. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

That's a great point. It's a shame Mesa didn't make it right as a recall if it's that "known" of an issue.

It's like the mail-in rebate if the service world. :D

18. Senor Forum

It also isn't performing to Mesa's expectations, you know, because they messed up.

19. Cap'n Lee

Cap'n Lee Member

@Senor Forum, your pontificating as to what TGP does and thinks as a group - a group that you like to separate yourself from - lead me to suggest you might benefit from a little self-reflection

A point you make in this thread:
    Your following posts from this same thread

20. Senor Forum

Jesus. I’m just flattered.