Disappointed.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GrooveMerchant, Aug 13, 2019 at 3:14 PM.

1. GrooveMerchant

GrooveMerchant Member

I've only had the amp for a few days. It sounds really good, but I don't know yet if it's the right fit.
    Time will tell.

2. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

Yeah, everybody loves getting a good deal.....and everybody hates learning it wasn't actually so good.

But heck, I've always done amp tune-ups on used amps I buy, and then I've also replaced so many speakers, tubes, pickups, etc., over the years, I've probably screwed myself out of any really good deals I've actually gotten!

The key is to enjoy it while you've got it. :aok

Wyzard, stratadp and GrooveMerchant like this.
  3. Dr.Picklebottom

Dr.Picklebottom Member

this is the entitlement passive aggressive thing people do online expecting a rep from the company to jump in and say PM your info and we'll take care of it!

this isnt what tgp is for. please use social media, etc. it feels gross, like a child of fighting parents being used to hurt the other parent. just go in there and tell mesa you want a divorce so we can talk about guitars. noone cares.

4. ChrisVereb

ChrisVereb Member

@GrooveMerchant - I have a TA-30 combo with the noisy reverb/loop, which I also bought used and out of warranty. When i checked the amp out the noise was a lot lower than when I got it home. Talked to the seller and he mentioned that he always ran it on a power conditioner or power strip because it would help the noise a lot. I tried it with the furman in my rack and I was surprised at how much of an impact it made. I didn't think it'd help that much (if at all). It's still noisier than I'd like, and I'll get it fixed some day. But with a conditioner, it's really only noticeable with solo playing at home. With the volume up I'm liking the sound too much to care about the buzz!

stratadp and GrooveMerchant like this.
  5. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

OP: I’ve kind of concluded that if I own a tube amp long enough, retubes and service will exceed the purchase price.

And I’ve also decided that repairing an amp that I know I like, may not be more fun than flipping and trying again, but it’s usually more cost-effective.

6. dB

dB Member

I'm in the minority here, but to me this isn't merely warranty work. This is a known manufacturing/engineering defect. I think that Mesa is responsible to fix every one of them that they sold, regardless of who owns it or if the warranty has expired. Warranty work is typically when something unexpectedly breaks...this is more of a recall scenario (manufacturer discovers a faulty component or engineering and then fixes their mistake), despite the fact that Mesa didn't issue a recall.

7. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

Well that is why for luxury I have a sedan, for off road I have a Jeep

GrooveMerchant likes this.
  8. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

What happens when you need to hop a curb at the mall?

Vanilla Latte likes this.
  9. Pongo

Pongo Member

Yes.

Its an annoying issue for sure, but at 2011, it's well outside of the 5-year window. I mean, if you were at like 5 years and 1 week and they just hung up on you cackling evilly, that'd be one thing. But the consumer has some responsibility, too, and assuming the previous owner had it since 2011 or 12, they had plenty of time to handle the issue before you bought the amp.

Tomo El Gato and blackba like this.
  10. reddog112

reddog112 Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about your issue OP, I really liked the amp when it came out but the one I played was noisy. If you decide to move it, send me a PM. I have always wanted to give it a try.

GrooveMerchant likes this.
  11. GrooveMerchant

GrooveMerchant Member

I can see that.
    My mistake was that I see this as a recall issue due to design flaw, rather than a warranty issue due to a defective part.
    My view is that a recall issue should be covered regardless of warranty status, whereas wannanties have time limits.
    Clearly I'm in the minority.

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  12. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Mesa has a 5 year warranty, which is really quite good. You can' expect them to foot the bill on something older than that. If the guy told you it didn't have the issue, and it does, it's on him. I'd ask for some additional money back.

Not a recall issue at all. No one's in danger from some reverb hum.

Guitardave and blackba like this.
  13. Radar

Radar Member

Did you buy it on Reverb? If you asked the seller if it has the issue, and he said no, and it turns out it does, then you can get a refund even if the listing doesn't have a return window. He did not sell the item as described.

14. billboneys

billboneys Supporting Member

If you built a faulty product just fix it. I don't care if it's costly, I don't care if it's outside some window. Get it right the first time.

15. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

He didn't really get a 'lemon' it's a known issue, he played the amp before he bought it & it's only $150 to get it taken care of. Like you said it's worth it & he can also have the 8 or 9yo amp checked out & retubed if needed then he's all set.

Theorist likes this.
  16. GrooveMerchant

GrooveMerchant Member

Unfortunately it was on kijiji.
    It was my error, and I'll own it, but I still think a design flaw should be covered.

17. Tony-Cliffton

Tony-Cliffton Member

Buy new. You don’t have to deal with others headaches.

guitarman3001 likes this.
  18. larry1096

larry1096 Member

My view is that I should be rich and good-looking.

I realized long ago that reality trumps my views. Don't be afraid, adulthood won't hurt you...

Larry

19. GrooveMerchant

GrooveMerchant Member

Will do.
    Although I've only had it for a few days, so I have to really try it out to see if I'll keep it

20. GrooveMerchant

GrooveMerchant Member

But at least my view is based on logic, and within the realm of reality.

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.