Disappointed.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GrooveMerchant, Aug 13, 2019 at 3:14 PM.

1. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Yes, you are wrong for thinking Mesa should be held responsible for fixing an issue for the 2nd (or maybe 3rd or 4th) owner of a used amp 8 years down the line when you haven't paid a cent to Mesa for this amplifier. I bet if you were the original owner, they probably would try to help you out but then again if you were the original owner you probably wouldn't have waited 8 years for help unless you just didn't care to use the loop.

You got a good deal on the amp because it had/has an issue, now you want Mesa to step in and make that deal even better by fixing the problem for you free of charge nearly 10 years later.

This isn't how the real world works. Take the amp to a tech and get it fixed, or if it's not your worth your time resell it or return it.

2. motokev

motokev Member

$150 isn't much GET it fixed. Once fixed, you won't be "disappointed"

Surgeon likes this.
  3. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

It doesn't seem like the popular opinion, but I actually do think a company should fix, at their cost, any PROBLEM with an amp if it is a problem with their design. They screwed up and released the product into the world with a defect - it needs to be fixed.

That said, I think the customer should be responsible for the shipping.

67super, Nuclear Plexi, guff and 7 others like this.
  4. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

I sort of agree...but this is 8 years later. It’s had plenty of time to be Mesa rectified.

What is the problem, anyways? It’s just a little noisy? Otherwise operational and works as it should?

There are all kinds of defective products in the world. Appliances, in particular. I wish whirlpool would fix my broken ice maker (design flaw) but I’m SOL and have only had it a few years.

Front load dryers....ugh

I bet Dave Friedman or whoever else is buying thousands of tubes a year doesn’t get compensated for the ones that don’t perform within parameters or rattle, etc

5. Senor Forum

Another point is that a lot of companies probably don't have a fix. Some defects are simply a design breaking thing. The fix would be a new product.

With this, Mesa has a standard fix in place. The second it hits the tech's table, they know what to do. They have the parts there to do it.

6. GuitarMike69

GuitarMike69 Member

So,
    1. OP knew this model had this issue,
    2. Didn't research it well enough to understand that Mesa was NOT going to cover the issue outside of the warranty period
    3. Tested the amp in person and did not detect the issue
    4. Bought the amp, only to discover later that it does indeed have the issue he was expecting
    5. Angry Mesa won't repair the 8 year old amp for free, despite point #2
    6. Came to TGP to vent disappointment and bash the company, despite point #3

Seems you only have yourself to blame, given the circumstances.
    I rule in favor of Mesa here.
    Live with it, pay for the repair or sell it and buy something without a known issue!

7. Pongo

Pongo Member

Speak for yourself, sir. Speak for yourself.

8. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

I get where you’re coming from but that’s why there are warranties. Not many companies are going to fix something at no cost once that period has expired. As far as I can tell the amp operates fine, it just has a noise that doesn’t affect performance.

Good reason to buy something like Suhr.

This kind reminds me of someone going nuts on (I think) @Jack DeVille because they had some old pedal of his that he couldn’t even service due to not having the parts anymore since it was out of production. He even referred them to someone that could help.

9. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Member

Sounds like you only have one choice and that's to get it fixed and chalk it up to a lesson learned. I had something similar happen with a 6505+ I purchased. After the repair costs I paid over market for it.

10. ZMoney

ZMoney Member

If the seller said it did not have that issue but it does you should be able to get him to pay for it or return it. If you bought out through Reverb, EBay, or PayPal, I think you should be able to.

11. MrAstro

MrAstro Member

Pay the $150 and get it fixed - so you made a $150 loss on the deal compared to where you would have liked to have been at. That's chump change. Move on.

Someotherguy likes this.
  12. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

[​IMG]

13. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Supporting Member

Agreed. The seller is where this complaint belongs.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  14. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

At the what? Lol My wife and I went to the mall for the first time in probably 3 years last weekend, she had a gift card.

15. nbessie1

nbessie1 Gold Supporting Member

I say that it's a known issue and the seller should have known about it and informed you that the amp had the issue and that it had not been fixed during the warranty period (and this then should have factored into the final price you negotiated).

louis likes this.
  16. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

I’ve got some local techs that have done right by me, including with a Mesa product.

A local dude probably won’t cost you $150 for one thing, and since I’ve got mine sorted, it’s a fire breather.

The TA has an EL84 power section right?

Mesa’s EL84 amps don’t get the press like their bigger brothers, but they can sure sing. And sound much bigger than you’d think physics would allow.

17. Sam Xavier

Sam Xavier Member

I feel your pain, whether you are in the right or not. Had an amp roll over and die on me - bought new - with a known fault, two weeks out of warranty. Had to pay to get it fixed, no other option. Fair got me goat, did that.

18. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Affirmative

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019 at 8:41 PM
  19. Senor Forum

I can appreciate both sides of this, but I feel like all of you who are super blunt, and essentially in people's faces about these types of things would probably never speak so plainly to someone in person.

God, the Internet is truly obnoxious sometimes.

20. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Pretty hard to keep a business running if you have to pretend that every product you sell has a lifetime warranty.