Disappointed.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GrooveMerchant, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Senor Forum

Senor Forum Gold Supporting Member

Except that no one is expecting EVERY product they make to have a lifetime warranty.

He's expecting a product that Mesa SCREWED UP MAKING, and released to the public, to be fixed, particularly because they have a standard fix in place for it.

Spewing non-stop hyperbole isn't going to suddenly make you more right.

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Mesa should issue fix instructions for out of warranty products i.e. the factory service bulletin.

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  3. Senor Forum

I can get along with this take. :)

I look at things like this as a recall, in a sense, from a car manufacturer. I know it isn't like for like because of safety and such, but ultimately, they screwed up and should fix it, because they DID screw up.

Shipping can be like paying for the gas to get to the place to have the work done. ;)

4. Al Rose

Al Rose Gold Supporting Member

Indeed it sure can be....sad....

Al

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  5. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

Did Mesa acknowledge the issue with these amps when they were under warranty? If so, then couldn't all the amps have been fixed during the warranty period?

6. Senor Forum

No clue.

And yeah, they could have been, most likely, although situations are different for everyone. Who knows what was happening in the lives of everyone who owned that amp model during that time. The only thing I do know is that the amp was released defective, and should be fixed.

That being said, it's a specific serial range of one amp model.

It wouldn't be a burden in the slightest to a company of that size to fix their mistake. It's a goodwill gesture to the people who keep your brand alive, and not even a grand one.

7. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Agreed. Lemon too strong a term here. Maybe a "less than desirable purchase experience" is a better description. :p In the end - he'll have a great amp if he ponies up the $150. Go for it OP!!!

Gibson Dog likes this.
  8. odourboy

odourboy Member

Sounds like you should be recalled! :rimshot

9. Senor Forum

I agree that it isn’t a lemon. A lemon to me is a product that is usually okay, but maybe something slipped on a particular day and caused an issue.

This is just a defective amp and is Mesa’s fault.

10. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

And they did, for any and all owners of the amp that had the issue at the time of release (and probably for quite some time after). A warranty, a limited guarantee, etc are all applicable to an original owner and not the 9th guy the amp has been sold to when who knows what has been done to it. Maybe Mesa fixed this amp and then 2 owners down the line someone decided to dig in the guts and created more problems. Who knows? Mesa can’t know for sure.

If every company did what you’re suggesting they would be paying literally in perpetuity for this one issue they had on one amp back in 2011.

Again, this just isn’t how the real world works.

JK1965, GuitarMike69, blackba and 4 others like this.
  11. Senor Forum

Does Mesa screw up in this capacity regularly? I don’t hear about things like this with Mesa terribly often. All the more reason for them to make it right.

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  12. customguitars87

customguitars87 Member

Nope, they don't...to my knowledge this is one of if not the only time an issue like this occurred. But no, in my view that's not more of a reason for them to incur costs on behalf of someone who hasn't given them a cent. You're not entitled to lifetime repair work on something (even something that was flawed from the start) as the 2nd, 3rd, or 8th owner of an item.

99% of the point of buying new is being the original owner and the various perks/benefits that come with it. If every company extended all the same perks to everyone who bought an item secondhand, you'd be removing most of the incentive to buy new in the first place. And if that happened, none of these amazing companies whose gear brings us so much joy would be able to continue existing.

13. boo radley

boo radley Supporting Member

In the real world, MESA is kissing off this customer for good. That may or may not be wise based on the internal cost of the repair and overhead. IMO, yeah the amp is out of warranty but it was a known issue, and if the owner is willing to pay shipping, and hell, maybe cost for parts, why not fix?

I have an older Quilter amp and the light behind the front panel is wonky. I bought it used, it's out of warranty but when I asked Quilter about it, the response was "there was a problem with the blue LED's in some of the early models, and if I shipped it to them it would be fixed for free." Since it's purely cosmetic I ended up not bothering, but...That's excellent customer service.

But certainly MESA has right to stick to their stated warranty policy. It's clear and unambiguous.

Odd, Doctor...If the problem is with a TGP Favorite, and said Favorite jumps in and says "PM me," the crowd goes wild, saying "Yeah! That's why exactly why you buy an XYZ!!" And the reputation grows, and sales increase. So it's a positive for all.

14. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

Fry Mesa Boogie, they should repair it for you without asking twice.
    Especially considering how much they cost; I bought a Mark V25 for someone else, he says it's good. They have old school thought process & PR.
    In some video, a guy sends his PRS Custom 24 to the factory for some repair/issue.
    He bought the guitar used & it must have been a quite some time since it was actually built. PRS did the repair & finished it like a new guitar, replacing small things/ covering any embellishments, I don't know maybe wax coating too.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  15. JCW308

JCW308 Supporting Member

Those who were not putting up with the Mesa bashing were correct. You should actually thank them for correcting this entire post since it started out completely opposite of reality.

16. Senor Forum

I have no clue why everyone keeps acting like this guy expects Mesa to provide the same warranty to all used products. That isn’t even remotely what is happening here.

Quite frankly, I don’t even see how warranty is playing into this at all. They screwed up. Period. They released a defective product into the world and need to make it right.

Let’s say, hypothetically, they get one in, and it’s not the original owner. Maybe they open it up and see that something has been changed (they’d know, because they’re the experts). They would then be in a position to contact the person who sent it in and explain that the amp isn’t stock and they would not be able to cover the work.

It’s not a complicated thing. And, in doing the above, they have done right by their fans, and owned up to their mistake.

If someone like John Suhr can offer damn near endless support on products new and old, original owner or 5th owner, on perfectly FUNCTIONING products, then I’d think they Mesa can offer support for the products they fumbled.

17. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

50 Frappachinos, I say send it in and get it the way you want.

18. Senor Forum

And to everyone saying this person is “bashing” Mesa - my god. How hilariously sensitive are you folks?

19. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

Yep that's what we & most people would do. I would pony up a little more & have the amp gone through & probably retubed. After that you have a beast workhorse of an amp that will be trouble free & outlive all of us!

20. waygorked

waygorked Member

I've owned 3 TA-30s, with one being my lifetime tube amp. I'd just get the damn thing fixed and get on with loving how great it is. Wasn't the fix just shielding the wire to the reverb tank? Any amp tech should be able to pull that off, without sending it to Mesa.