Disappointed.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GrooveMerchant, Aug 13, 2019 at 3:14 PM.

1. eoengineer

eoengineer Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Ubersooner likes this.
  2. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Jeez, reading the rest of this thread is both disturbing and hilarious. Some of you guys have a super strong sense of self-entitlement. How long do you think Mesa would stay in business, if it honored every out of warranty sob story, for something they would have covered in the first 5 years at no cost?

Yet no one's focusing on the seller, who literally lied to the buyer.

3. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Thats absolutely ridiculous though. You taking responsibility for your own decisions and actions that way. Whats the world coming to?

4. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

Can you get the person you bought it from to send it in for the warranty work?

5. rickt

rickt Gold Supporting Member

I have no dog in this hunt but I do feel bad for you that the amp did not fully meet your expectations. This is, however, a great example of caveat emptor, buyer beware. When I sell a piece of gear I provide as much information as I have so there are no surprises. I suspect, in this instance, the buyer knew of the issue and adjusted the selling price accordingly but withheld an important piece of information.

"The phrase caveat emptor and its use as a disclaimer of warranties arise from the fact that buyers typically have less information than the seller about the good or service they are purchasing."​

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 10:30 AM
  6. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Member

Learned that in Mrs. Priester's 8th grade Consumer Economics and have used it virtually every day of my adult life.

7. Ubersooner

Ubersooner Member

Or you could just say "buyer beware" like everybody else does.

8. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

I thought this was a common practice.
    Saw in a video that PRS took care of a Custom 24, no questions asked, 2nd owner. Though, it's double the price of a Mesa amp, maybe.

@HesNot , In your case the manufacturer offered to take care of it, just that.
    But shipping for these minor issues doesn't make sense & it consumes resources.
    Thanks for sharing.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019 at 11:54 PM
  9. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

8 years into a 5 year warranty the OP got transferred the exact same warranty the seller had.

10. andybaylor

andybaylor Supporting Member

FWIW: Mesa wanted $350 to bring my Mark II up to their spec, before doing any other work.

What are they smoking?
    Meth? Crack? Both?

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  11. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

[​IMG]

12. mikefair

mikefair Supporting Member

13. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

You're partially right in pointing out the latent (or not) self entitlement. I don't particularly favour big communities & units/companies and that weighs in on my opinions but I find that rational to my perspective. I don't know how big an operation Mesa guys run. But at that price point, it should be a more intimate experience. It's not about this particular manufacturer but just a pattern that I'm addressing. I'm not expecting a 500$ repair on amp without any questions but at least the warranty should follow the serial number not the buyer, especially since amps last so long. Overall, I'll prefer repair work with local folks unless it's an electronic component.
    Amps here are unjustifiably pricey. A Fender Blues Jr. costs 1100$ !!
    When I first found out Mesa Boogie prices for the 100 Watters, wow. Some are better than the others, you can get a Laney Lionheart for 1000$, that's somewhat closer to other places I believe.
    I actually have bought a Mesa Mark V/ 25W for a friend in Nepal, it's sounds great. But I can't even fathom the trouble of having one repaired here.
    Recently, I saw a post where someone was struggling to find a bridge saddle for an Ernie Ball John Petrucci guitar.

14. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

I actually don't know about amp repair but material testing machines & a lot of other industries charge quite a lot more for the support.

15. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

That’s exactly what Mesa does with their 5 year warranty

Tone Loco likes this.
  16. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

A very small one. Two people alone do all the cabinet work.

With Mesa, the warranty DOES follow the serial, not the buyer.

With Mesa, it's about as intimate as I've experienced, far better than Friedman, Marshall, Fender, or any other of that range, before going into higher priced boutique stuff. Actually, Friedman was the worst, and their stuff is generally more expensive than Mesa.

You have a decidedly unrealistic view of what labor costs in the US, particularly California. I'll assume that's because you're overseas from us. Comparing a Lionheart made in China to a Dual Rectifier made in California is a significant difference in quality and cost of labor, along with warranty. "Unjustifiably pricey"? Is their time not worth anything to you? Is an amplifier a commodity product that you'll toss away in a couple years?

17. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

I think you didn't get me.
    The Fender Blues Jr. that costs 600$ in the US considering what they consider fair for their labour & parts costs 1100$ here. This difference is due to the customs+shipping.
    But the amp is made in China I believe.
    The price difference for the Laney isn't that drastic. I'm not comparing the Mesa Boogie to the Laney.
    And I have been under the impression that Mesa is similarly scaled as Fender, Marshall & all the other brands.
    Edit: Also, I think I've already made it clear that it isn't about Mesa for me. It's a generic discussion.

18. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I got you just fine. I just think you're not understanding the differences that come with country of origin. Additionally, the Fender is made in Mexico, not China. Mesa is not remotely similar to Fender or Marshall, either.

Tone Loco and therhodeo like this.
  19. Vaibhav Joshi

Vaibhav Joshi Member

I'm not being rude but I don't want to understand those differences. People talk about open borders too. Even being here on TGP, talking to you means a lot to me, actually.

AprioriMark likes this.
  20. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

Unfortunately you have to understand the differences, if you're going to question cost. Or be blissfully unaware, and don't comment on why the Mesa or Friedman is so expensive. I'm not saying a product made in X country can't be amazing, but the cost in relation to how much it costs to produce is always going to be a conversation piece.