Disappointed.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GrooveMerchant, Aug 13, 2019.

1. OutterLimits

OutterLimits Gold Supporting Member

Free yourself from the agony of the snarky remark kingdom, have it fixed, and then let us know if it was worth it.

lcfparty35 likes this.
  2. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

I know !!!

The OP could set up a crowdfunding site and the people who think he's entitled to a free repair, on an out-of-warranty amp, can contribute their own money and make that happen for him.

They could step up to the plate, swing for the fences, pat themselves on the back, and call each other "Champions".

:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

Just think of it, would you ??

3. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

There was a non-safety issue...Mesa offered support through a FIVE YEAR window. How is this issue different from say...a handle that breaks after a couple years? It gets fixed under warranty. If this particular issue could present a possibility of the owner getting a zap of electricity, then I could see fixing out of the warranty period. Move on...this isn't that big of an issue.

blackba likes this.
  4. 67super

67super Member

I agree with this, in the Camera world this would get fixed. Nikon for example will fix a known issue that they have agreed to fix pretty much forever, regardless of warranty. If a manufacturer makes something with a flaw, agrees it's flawed and agrees to fix it the warranty period shouldn't matter IMO. It doesn't open them up to anything because it's a flaw that they created and agreed to fix. It doesn't mean they (Mesa) are agreeing to fix anything that goes wrong with an amp after warranty.

5. stratjim

stratjim Member

I bought a used supro royal reverb last year. I thought it was a good deal...sounded great but had a cut halfway through the handle.
    the amp weighs 56 pounds so I emailed supro about getting a new handle. I knew the issue when I bought it so I was prepared to buy a new handle.
    pleasantly surprised when they offered to send me a new one gratis
    and a week later the new one arrived.
    different companies have different attitudes toward customer service.

6. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

Yes those two situations are exactly analogous.

7. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

How much did it cost? Btw it’s almost 10 years old now. What is the problem anyway?

8. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

This sort of reminds me of a good friend of mine who bought a 5w Bugera head for like 125 bucks or something. It lasted several months. He was frustrated they wouldn’t replace it. WTF it’s toy. Anyway he bitched and moaned so much they are shipping him a new one.

9. LqdSndDist

LqdSndDist Member

Actually in the camera world there is usually a limit to how long something will be repaired for. Nikon for example has recently said they will stop the policy of free service for oil on the sensor of the d600 series camera.

Leica used to fix cracked sensors on the M9 for a long time but no longer does, I think they don’t have parts anymore.

Few of any brands will be able to offer service, free or otherwise, for an unlimited period of time.

If someone buys said amp in 2032 should Mesa still cover a free repair on soemthing that is like 25 years old ? Where do you draw the line ?

blackba, 67super and therhodeo like this.
  10. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Member

There’s no evidence of this. Seller said no problems.. in their world could well be the case.. even the OP suggested it wasn’t noticeable at volume.

“I did ask the seller if it suffered from the issue, and he said no.
    The environment in which I tried the amp was such that it wasn't evident.
    It is not really noticeable at louder/gig volumes”

11. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I get that, I do. But unfortunately it doesn't matter what year it is, when it comes to distance, customs, and various differences in labor costs.

12. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

He said in the first post he asked the guy if there was the reverb problem, he said no. Yet there is an audible hum. How is that not lying? If you're saying there's no evidence in terms of an audio recording of the guy saying this, then yes, you're right.

I know exactly what the problem is, I've heard it multiple times. It's audible at conversation volumes. If the amp had it, the seller would know.

13. John_M

John_M Supporting Member

Well, taxes and shipping charges are gonna be a thing no matter what year it is. If I want to buy from Japan or Australia, it's gonna cost me more than here in the States. I see guitars on eBay from Japan - same guitar here is $1000 less (note the $ goes in front of the number, not picking on you as I can't speak your language at all I'm sure, but a peeve of mine that I even call my 18yo out on) - - not understanding the BJ/DRRI example - both new the BJ is more money in your market?

14. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Member

Read the second and third sentence...

MilwMark likes this.
  15. 67super

67super Member

There are realistic limits but Nikon is still replacing shutters on 5 year old D750's. Of course at some point parts availability becomes the issue. It really is up to the company, I think anything that is a screw up on the part of the company should be treated differently than a warranty issue.

16. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

A 5 year old amp would still be within Mesa's warranty period.

John Hurtt likes this.
  17. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I did, and having extensive experience with this amp, the seller would know at any volume if it did or did not have the issue.

18. 67super

67super Member

My point is it is out of Nikon's warranty period.

19. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Situations like this are why I rarely buy used gear. Almost every time I've bought a used amp I've had problems with it. In many cases the cost to get the problem fixed brought my total cost for the amp up to about the same as I could have bought a new one for.

Nowadays even new amps are full of problems. Used amps are just as bad if not worse but you dont have a warranty or return period.

Tony-Cliffton likes this.
  20. Cap'n Lee

Cap'n Lee Member

At the very least, you should be able to interpret the quoted post #115 was a reply to another member.

Rob Taft likes this.